New from Houston Texas

Chad91DA

Hey HC guys I am 19 and I own a 1991 DA acura integra with a B20 swap (non-vtec) The only thing done to it is suspension mods and HASport motor mounts a stage 2 clutch and a lightweight flywheel, I am a beginner so do I take HPDE and learn the ropes or is there a program in the Honda Challenge program I can get started with? Thanks guys!

-Chad

Welcome!

The best advice I can give you to reach the HPD Honda Challenge is to take as much NASA HPDE as you can afford,listen to the instructors and apply what they teach and you will get to your goals.Try not to go and buy anything for more power or aero dynamics,just get good tires,brake pads/fluid and drive lots of laps.It takes some time to put in work getting to each level HPDE 1-4 and eventually Time Trial then racing.It's like climbing a ladder ya know what I mean.Once you get to meet some of the guys from your area who know the ropes,hang with them and don't be shy to ask for help.The NASA people are very helpful and will show you everything you need to know on your first outing.

So sign up for HPDE 1 at your next local event and take a ride along instructor,you will be totally hooked from there!

,just get good tires,brake pads/fluid and drive lots of laps.It takes some time to put in work getting to each level HPDE 1-4 and eventually Time Trial then racing.

The best tires are the worst tires.

Really, make sure it's you who is making the car go fast, not just the car. If you can be quick in an underpowered car on average tires, you can be quick in anything. By not jumping right to R compounds and huge power you'll get a feel for the limit of the car much much easier, and you won't have the sticky rubber to cover your mistakes. Mr. Honda said "Man maximum, machine minimum." Only he probably said it in Japanese.

I agree,but that is more of a second level HPDE approach.I think that for someone brand new, finding the limit on crappy tires on the first few visits to the track is by far the wrong approach. A new person needs to spend the time the first few weekends maintaining control of the car, learning the rules of driving on the track,learning the proper lines/apex/brake zones, and the important basics of understanding the flags from the corner workers.

You won't learn a thing in HPDE 1 or 2 or even 3 by going off every lap except that the instructor will make an example out of you in front of the class.Been there done that.

Oh I agree, I'm not advocating going out and trying to play Ken Block in HPDE 1! I have had a lot of students on R compounds because "it will make them faster" when the car is not holding them back at all. By using your head driving average equipment you can learn the fundamentals of driving on track, just as you described, but not jump right into the deep end with sliding the car, etc. But a novice on a sticky tire can trail brake as much as he/she wants in a race-prepped CRX while driving at 5/10ths, and is learning a bad habit that can be difficult to break later. Like you pointed out, it's very important to learn the rules and conventions of driving on track, and it's just as important to learn some fundamentals of vehicle dynamics along the way. In my view, limit driving and R compounds are a higher rung of the ladder that he's just starting to climb.

Above all, HAVE FUN! That's why we're here, after all!