Corvette engine explosion at Road Atlanta 12/5/2010

Jim Horton

Yeah, the public (ie us Vette owners) want to see it!!!

I don't know, I don't think I would want video of my engine grenading for public dissemination.

Yeah, the public (ie us Vette owners) want to see it!!!

I don't know, I don't think I would want video of my engine grenading for public dissemination.

An engine blowing is no big deal, in my opinion. It would be different if it was an at-fault wreck or something.

There are two reasons I have not posted it for public viewing yet: 1) in case the owner would not wish it and 2) because I haven't figured out how to extract out just this section using !@#$%! Microsoft software, as this is an MOV file. I have signed up a Mac owner to do it for me

because I haven't figured out how to extract out just this section using !@#$%! Microsoft software, as this is an MOV file. I have signed up a Mac owner to do it for me

Been there done that.

Easiest thing to do is download software like AVS video converter. It will convert it from MOV to AVI or WMV.

Then you can edit it easily with Microsoft Movie Maker. It's not that bad.

The video clip is done, but it is still quite large, at 14+ megs. Anyone here set-up to host that I could provide this to? And did I happen to mention that the oil fire lasts from the time it takes the car to go from the left side of the track at turn 8 all the way to the inside of the track?

aaaaaaannnnddd that's why I track an old Toyota That'd be maybe a $500 tops explosion for me... and sometimes you can find people giving these engines away

I was working T7 that weekend. I have to say that Matt and his guys did an awesome job handling this situation. People getting paid to do this sort of thing could not have done any better. Radio talk was to the point and calm. The track was red flagged and EMS dispatched immeadiatly. Good job guys!

John

I was working T7 that weekend. I have to say that Matt and his guys did an awesome job handling this situation. People getting paid to do this sort of thing could not have done any better. Radio talk was to the point and calm. The track was red flagged and EMS dispatched immeadiatly. Good job guys!

John

I didn't hear anything in the pits as to what was the outcome of this. How was the driver, what were the results?

Wow! Much more spectacular than any of the engines I have blown. I hope the driver and any passengers are ok.

For some reason, as that happened I heard in my head the part of the "Flat Out" video where the guy says he did not let the other guy pass because he was unsafe and would explode in a ball of fire.

John

I didn't hear anything in the pits as to what was the outcome of this. How was the driver, what were the results?

The driver was fine. I s/w him briefly as he came back in to the pits. As for the vehicle IDK.

You guys sure the engine blew? I have heard of multiple C6Zs catching fire in the rear. One was local to me. If I remember correctly his aftermarket catback came loose and hit a brake line and broke the line, then the brake fluid caught fire; this was on track (VIR I think). Another was on Corvetteforum where a member's dry-sump line came loose after a LT header install and it cooked the car completely.

Since the C6Z has trans/diff coolers factory that utilize coolers up front in the radiator cavity or enclosed in the radiator I'll bet one of those lines came loose and the fluid hit the hot exhaust and burst into flames.