H4 Vehicle choice

araychel

I have 4 choices of cars to build for H4: D16Z6 coupe, D16Z6 Hatch, 92 Integra LS or 94+Integra LS. If modified to the full extent of the rules in H4, which would be the most competitive based on what people have seen? I want to build a car, possibly for next year, and I think H4 is where I would like to start.

Of the four you listed, I would pick the 2nd gen Integra.

I second that.

Are you going to be needing a cage in that thing? I have made many of the current Nor Cal H4 cages.

Could you guys elaborate on the second gen.? I like this choice as it already has rear discs and swaybars, plus the DOHC! But I would like to know why? It seems like there is limited aftermarket support for these. Plus, I am more used to the hydro tranny, so can they be swapped?

I vote for the 94+ LS integra! They are just awesome (when the wheels are on the ground)

I don't like the back of the 3rd gens, especially without a blingin' wing! HINT HINT

Could you guys elaborate on the second gen.? I like this choice as it already has rear discs and swaybars, plus the DOHC! But I would like to know why? It seems like there is limited aftermarket support for these. Plus, I am more used to the hydro tranny, so can they be swapped?

The B18 is far superior to the D16's of the class because it has a poopload more torque. And the only two cars that can legally run a b18 in h4 are the integras. Between the two, 2nd and 3rd gen, the 2nd gen runs at a lower min weight, has a shorter wheelbase, lower CG, and smaller frontal area. And as icing on the cake, they are cheaper to buy one for the doner car. Just my thoughts.

Where are you located? Nor Cal?

Sorry, I live in Wisconsin but thanks for the info. I am obviously having a hard time changing my mind. But just out of curiousity what should I expect to pay for a cage?

I vote for the 94+ LS integra! They are just awesome (when the wheels are on the ground)

I don't like the back of the 3rd gens, especially without a blingin' wing! HINT HINT

I dont like the back of them without a wing either.

011.jpg

Limited support? are you kidding? you can get anything you need for the 2nd gen to make it HC racer..

you have to ask yourself, was a hydro tranny ever offered in that body style. IIRC they never were, just cable. If you want hydro, going to have to run a civic or the 94+ integra.

I guess the 94+ would be a little more expecive to buy and build. they are 45 lb heavier than the 2nd gen, and look like they have a higher center of gravity, but have better suspention (that is what they tell me for the 45lb more) and they just rock..

I figured the trans had to be cable, but I wasn't 100% sure on that so that is why I asked. I realize that there are tons of DA parts available, what I really meant was good used stuff, little things that you always need but can never find! What suggestions would you folks have for a final drive for the cable tranny? Also, I converted this 92 Integra to a manual, and I can't seem to get the huge deadspot out of the bottom of the clutch pedal travel. I have never driven another cable trans before, so I don't know if this is normal.

I second that.

Are you going to be needing a cage in that thing? I have made many of the current Nor Cal H4 cages.

Have you done any Del Sol cages. My current cage blows and I was thinking of bringing he car out to California to get a new one. Good AZ cage shops are few and far between.

I would go with the newest car you can afford. Contrary with popular believe, I've never seen a racing class (except Hybrid) where an older cars can be as fast as newer cars.

I second that.

Have you done any Del Sol cages. My current cage blows and I was thinking of bringing he car out to California to get a new one. Good AZ cage shops are few and far between.

I think mike has done a Del Sol before ( that is what he races! )

I second that.

I race an H4 del sol, and I like my cage I built for it. PM me or email so we can chat it up about a del sol cage.

IMO go with the civic hatch.

The parts for the motor are ALOT cheaper then B series motor's and if you nade a b18b motor, it will be hard to find a block. The street guys love the LS block for the LS/vtec.

dseries motors and parts can be had for cheap REAL cheap. I picked up a complete d16z6 swap for 400 bucks. Alot of people don't want the motors so there cheap.

And i think you can get some decent numbers out of the d16z6, combine that with a lower minimum weight, the same brakes, and i think its very competitive car.

Jimmy- who is trying to find another D-series block to build himself in his spare time for H1, i already have an idea for a killer tranny, block and head setup, also no need to get biggger brakes with the low minimum weight for h1 d series car.

The parts for the motor are ALOT cheaper then B series motor's and if you nade a b18b motor, it will be hard to find a block. The street guys love the LS block for the LS/vtec.

They are not that hard to find.. I found a great one for $200 !

dseries motors and parts can be had for cheap REAL cheap. I picked up a complete d16z6 swap for 400 bucks. Alot of people don't want the motors so there cheap.

And i think you can get some decent numbers out of the d16z6, combine that with a lower minimum weight, the same brakes, and i think its very competitive car.

Thats a good point, when I swapped out my d16 motor for a b18c1 I couldn't even give it away... With all the streeters swapping d16's out of their cars for b series stuff, their should be a ton of em around for cheapo.

I need that extra tourqe though, I've even been looking at 92'ish preludes for that big ol' 2.3 liter

-Kevin

hahahahahahaha that was the deal of the century

hahahahahahaha that was the deal of the century

I would not say that.. Free would have been.. or even fully race built and free.. not THAT would have been the deal of the century..

IIRC - you were just tring to get it out of your shop tho..