Theres a hole in my FIA seat, should I scrap it?

Bark3rd

Trying to finish my car for the season and discovered a jagged hole in the side of my Sparco America (fiberglass FIA) seat where the inside bolt on the upper door bar poked through. Can I just reinforce it with some glass and resin? Im wondering what to do about the bolt too, not sure how it could be moved (bolt in Spec cage-Spec 7 car

ACF459.JPG

replace the seat

take the bolt out of the door bar and weld the bar in. Go do the same for the rest of the cage while you're at it!

Take half that advice.

Replace the seat but you can't weld the cage bars for SRX7.

Roll cage:

Brand: Autopower

Model: 83591 RX (1 ½” DOM material or 1 ¾” ERW). Notes; Material and construction defined by the SCCA GCR, ERW cages are not permitted in any car

registered after 1/1/03.

All cars must use specified roll cage which shall not be modified except for mounting window net and seat belt mounting brackets, and will only be bolted (not welded) in place. Metal plates may be used to reinforce the floor pan of the car at the roll cage mounting points. These plates may be welded in place. Plates must follow the specification in GCR 18.2.8.B, and may not be more than ¼” thick.

You can in PTF, so there!

there's gotta be a way to swap that bolt around so it doesn't rub. It looks to me like even a metal seat wouldn't hold up to that

I just remembered that the previous owner was really tall, the seat position was so far back I could barely reach the pedals and Im 6'2" (this also would explain why the rest of the Spec 7 guys arent having this problem). Relocating the seat forward (which I planned to do anyway) will allow the seat to clear that bolt. Thanks for helping me figure this out! Duh!

• 1 month later...

Thanks, thats exactly what I did. The stock floor in these cars is like aluminum foil. Heres a few pics my excellent cage builder sent me of the reinforcements and seat back brace he made for me (Matt Lemmons/Lemco Motorsports) if you want to see how it turned out. Scroll to page two to see the schweet seat back brace he fabbed up.

http://www.lemcomotorsports.com/svm/g84/

When I grab the seat through the window and try to shake it now, its like granite-no movement whatsoever. Now I can drive crazee....