WINGS AND THINGS......

gpeluso

I am building a E46 323 for NASA this year. I used to run with GTS a few years ago and then got sucked into SpecMiata since I like to run with multiple organizations. Well, I done buying fenders. I don not want things thrown at me but I just wanted to point out a concern I have with GTS which may have me leaning toward PT. WINGS AND THINGS.....without them you can't win in the great lakes region. The guys have done a great job of proving aero really works with even low horsepower cars. My concern is that once you do these things to your car you can not fit in other organizations easily. I think it also hurts the market for a car when it is time to move on to another car. Is it maybe not a bad idea to allow cars to run only stock aero???? Keeps costs down and and helps some cars still run with other groups like SCCA. I was thinking STOCK GTS and SUPER GTS. I AM DODGING THE FOOD THROWERS NOW! Just a thought,.....hell even if I go PT, I'm sure I'll run a GTS race here and there so you guys can kick my ass..

Greg

I am building a E46 323 for NASA this year. I used to run with GTS a few years ago and then got sucked into SpecMiata since I like to run with multiple organizations. Well, I done buying fenders. I don not want things thrown at me but I just wanted to point out a concern I have with GTS which may have me leaning toward PT. WINGS AND THINGS.....without them you can't win in the great lakes region. The guys have done a great job of proving aero really works with even low horsepower cars. My concern is that once you do these things to your car you can not fit in other organizations easily. I think it also hurts the market for a car when it is time to move on to another car. Is it maybe not a bad idea to allow cars to run only stock aero???? Keeps costs down and and helps some cars still run with other groups like SCCA. I was thinking STOCK GTS and SUPER GTS. I AM DODGING THE FOOD THROWERS NOW! Just a thought,.....hell even if I go PT, I'm sure I'll run a GTS race here and there so you guys can kick my ass..

Greg

Hi Greg,

We've already been over this again and again. There are already enough GTS classes. It's an open ruleset based series. Wings and Splitters can be unbolted very easily. You can't always have to best of both worlds. Sometimes you have to pick a series to optimize to and compromise to run in another.

-Scott B.

Just have a different trunk lid and front bumper. Then make the easy swap before switching series.

Oh yeah, I forgot you used to do that all the time !!

-Scott B.

I felt compelled to weigh in on this one since I'm a 1 car with no aero and used to be pretty fast. Wings are just part of the creative process. My car is ITS legal, and a championship car, so it's sans wings. However, that said, I've just about designed a front splitter and rear wing which are removable. Might not get them on this year, since the budget is for a engine overhaul but such is the fun of a work in progress. However, I think there are other areas which could help close the gap without going that extreme. Also, while Ed and John are faster in the turns, I'm faster down the straight, into that nice brake zone at mid-o. Without having to weave through miatas, I think the fight would be much closer. But, I was still 3rd....

Also, on the factory car debate, I got to drive a factory Porsche GT3 Cup car in a race last spring. It was really cool and a lot easier than my 944.

Lastly, the series was the brain child of Denny Voss, Vaughan Scott and Mark Barr in the ~'02 timeframe. Lot of miles since then...

I shaved my rain gutters and switched from a satin paint to a more slippery high gloss so hopefully I will get to Christians straight line speed in 2011.....

I can take my wing and splitter off pretty easy. Would be interesting to see where the lap times are without them. That said, I have spent the entire year working on the setup with the aero, so just pulling it off would be another big development process.

There are plenty of other things that John and I have done to make our cars as competitive as possible that are not the aero too.

Like Christian says, he is faster in the straights. John and I can tell you how he came up our rear bumper at Putnam at the start. The trick is, however, that good cornering speed means that you have a faster run onto the straight.

Oh yea, and Ernie will be back.

After all, the guy with the track record at Mid Ohio on the pro course had a spoiler, no wing.

John, don't tell everyone about my hood though.

Ed

Ed's points are right. The other thing about the aero is you really have to recalibrate your head a little to get the most from it. Once you get it balanced about right you suddenly have more traction than you've ever had at higher speeds and you have to overcome your own reluctance to push hard enough to really take advantage of it. You will get some benefit just by putting it on but the rest of it comes with harder work.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the other issue with stock and aero classes:

Now we have GTS1-5

You're proposing

Stock GTS1

Stock GTS2

Stock GTS3

Stock GTS4

Stock GTS5

Aero GTS1

Aero GTS2

Aero GTS3

Aero GTS4

Aero GTS5

That's 10 classes. Why not also do it for Slick vs. DOT tires?

DOT Stock GTS1

DOT Stock GTS2

DOT Stock GTS3

DOT Stock GTS4

DOT Stock GTS5

DOT Aero GTS1

DOT Aero GTS2

DOT Aero GTS3

DOT Aero GTS4

DOT Aero GTS5

Slick Stock GTS1

Slick Stock GTS2

Slick Stock GTS3

Slick Stock GTS4

Slick Stock GTS5

Slick Aero GTS1

Slick Aero GTS2

Slick Aero GTS3

Slick Aero GTS4

Slick Aero GTS5

Then everyone can have their own class and get a 1st place trophy too!

• 2 weeks later...

I started my own thread about this earlier but I'll ask here too- are there any rules on how far back my wing can be in GTS? I'd like to run BMWCCA Dmod too-

e36 with a Pennon CF wing

MA SHAW Fiberglass trunk lid

Custom fab mounting structure to the frame rails for the wing uprights

Got my answer from my earlier thread- looks like I can mount it anywhere in GTS, and not higher or wider than my car lines, or more than 16 inches behind my bumper line for Dmod.