New in 2011 to NASA HPDE

johnalley

2011 will be my first time to start running NASA events. I plan on getting a lot of experience in HPDE and move to TTA by the end of the season(if skill level is good enough). My question is what type of budget should I plan on for registration fees for the events. I have a pretty good idea on parts/ fuel/ tires. etc. but am wanting to get a good idea so I can start setting aside money for the season. If I get the budget on paper hopefully that will help control impulse spending on the latest gadgets and gizmos.

Figure $400 for registration and $300 for hotel costs.

Hotel can be less (Executive in at CMP is less that $150 for two nights), camping at the track depends but usually less than $50 for the weekend

Don't forget several tanks of gas, not only to get to the event and home but to run the weekend. Most folks wind up filling up after lunch each day so they don't run out of gas on track

Last year, I went to 5 events; 3 at Mid-O and 2 at Putnam. I spent around $650 for a 2 day weekend, and $850 if I did all three days. This did not include consumables. This was for a little entertainment, food, hotel, gas and track time. I go out to eat Friday night, drink a little and eat at the free dinner on Saturday. I usually eat Subway for lunch all weekend. I live 2-5 hours away from these tracks.

Thanks for the info, that will help me finish the budget for the 2011 season. Being an old accountant we need to have spreadsheets for everything !!

first rule is never run the numbers (I am also an accountant, heh)

1yr is a short timeframe to progress through the HPDE levels into TT. It is doable, its just going to be hard. Get out to alot of events and soak up every bit of information you can about improving your driving from all the instructors you'll have access to

If I ever sat down and calculated what I'm spending on this hobby I wouldn't be doing it

• 2 weeks later...

If I ever sat down and calculated what I'm spending on this hobby I wouldn't be doing it

I did one day, then immediately shredded the paper and burned the pieces.

Good Johnalley and Welcome!

1yr is a short timeframe to progress through the HPDE levels into TT. It is doable, its just going to be hard. Get out to alot of events and soak up every bit of information you can about improving your driving from all the instructors you'll have access to

So true. Got in 3 weekend events in 2009 and 4 in 2010. Moved up to DE3 in late summer and realized quickly, I was not quite ready yet for DE3. Will spend a little more time in DE2.

And don't forget there is always the possibility of a chance encounter with an obstacle. I plan to be back in DE 2 with the car almost fixed now from my wall excursion.

Small prices to pay, though, for the opportunity to drive the tracks our heroes have been on throughout their careers.

My first time to stand on the balcony overlooking the front stretch at Mid-Ohio (a few years ago) was truly an emotional experience when I realized the footprints I was standing in.

Most of us will never play pro ball of any sort, take the stage with a headliner band, or accomplish so many other things we see. Through the DE program here at NASA we get so many opportunities to try and succeed along with a great pool of instructors and drivers to help us achieve our goals.

Rolling onto the track for my first hyper-drive (instantly hooked, LOL) at the age of 56 was something I really never though would happen and a lifelong dream.

Thanks to all the staff and volunteer driving instructors who make this possible.

I am with kbrew on this one! I don't run the numbers, as with us, it is a family affair, the wife loves her track time too! It is a great experience, with a great group of people, no matter what region you run in or visit, NASA folks always make you feel welcomed.