Transponders.... what to get?

Pennington

Looking to get a new transponder for TT this year. What and where should I get it.

What would be the best mounting point in a C6 Corvette?

I did a quick search with little help....

Thanks,

Gary

• National Staff

Gary, the first place to look for answers is the Rules, not the Forums.

If you hit search in the Rules for "Transponders", you would find this:

All competing vehicles must be equipped with an AMB TranX260 transponder in order to obtain

lap times. Many NASA regions offer weekend rentals of these transponders for those drivers

that do not own one. It is also legal for a vehicle to be equipped with an AMB Display IT lap

time display, but it is not required.

They can be purchased in re-chargeable and hard-wired versions. Many vendors sell them including OG Racing and others.

You can often find them for sale used on these forums.

As for mounting, look for a place where its less than a foot from the ground and kinda protected.

Since my c4 has these nice open areas where the overflow tank (passenger side) and AIR pump are stored.

I was able to mount it in the passenger side compartment, its worked great for the last couple years.

Here are 2 strong suggestions that nobody seems to take into consideration:

1. Do not mount the transponder where you cannot easily see the green light to ensure that it is working.

2. Do not mount the transponder where you cannot easily read the number on the side. Or, write the number somewhere in the underhood area.

Mark

Here are 2 strong suggestions that nobody seems to take into consideration:

1. Do not mount the transponder where you cannot easily see the green light to ensure that it is working.

2. Do not mount the transponder where you cannot easily read the number on the side. Or, write the number somewhere in the underhood area.

Mark

I'll expound on #2 - store it in your cell phone too. That way when registration asks for it you don't have to go back to the car to get it. Unless you have it memorized like I do (0216679) but that's excessive

I wrote my number down in my HPDE book.

When I get the Log book for the car this year I'll write it down there.

I also saved it as part of my car description (there is a field for it) on the NASA registration site