CRX ITA/H4 car porpoising on high-speed straights

mcolangelo2005

I race a 1989 CRX Si ITA/H4 car with the usual (as far as I can tell) ITA suspension setup (GC coilovers, revalved Konis, stock sway bars). I forget what the spring rates are but I believe they are the normal ones (400/600). It's a used race car and I bought it a year ago.

I've noticed that on the high-speed straights, the car has a tendency to slightly "porpoise" at about 0.5-1 Hz (one slight nose-up and down porpoising cycle every 1 -2 seconds). It's not anything extreme but it is noticeable and I'd like to stop it. Has anyone experience this? If so, how'd you fix it? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Even though I live in Washington where NASA doesn't operate, one of these days I want to race my car at T-Hill with NASA. Maybe this year!

Some tracks are bumpy and will cause this but if it's the front of the car only I would guess the shocks there are not working well.

Yeah seriously. Fix your shocks. Send them back to koni to have them revalved and tell them your vehicle weight and spring rate.

Yep, I'm thinking it's shocks now, too. I have reason to believe they are at least two seasons (maybe 3) old and this car has been raced a lot, so....probably time for them to get rebuilt by Koni.

Thanks!