Nwe Guy with Questions.

johnalley

2011 will be my first time with NASA and I am hoping to get enough experience in HPDE's to do some TT late in the year. I would like to run in TTA, so here is my question to those who have far more knowledge and experience than myself.

I have a 2004 Z06 and if I understand the classification form correctly these are the options I have come up with to best use my available points:

Option 1:

Z06 7 pts

Vararam air intake 1 pt

Tires UTOG 50 - 130 7 pts

Tire size 275 - 4 pts

Sway bars 2 pts

GTC-300 adj rear wing 4 pts

Total pts 17

Option 2:

Z06 7 pts

Vararam 1 pt

Tires UTOG < 40 10 pts

Tire size 275 - 4 pts

Sway bars 2 pts

Total pts 16

My question is, does the downforce from the wing give me better use of available points or should I go with the sticky tires?

Most of my events will be in the Midwest / Great Lakes Region as well as a few trips to VIR.

Edited by Guest

In the southeast the FAST Corvette guys are drivinhard, sperkins and jason.

PM them for setup details.

Also check on the corvetteforum in the autocross and road racing section for more info. There is a sticky post from a guy that did a lot of documentation on his car progression.

Oh yea - you'll need some brass ones and a bit of crazy.

I drive a C4 so its very different.

In the southeast the FAST Corvette guys are drivinhard, sperkins and jason.

PM them for setup details.

Also check on the corvetteforum in the autocross and road racing section for more info. There is a sticky post from a guy that did a lot of documentation on his car progression.

Oh yea - you'll need some brass ones and a bit of crazy.

I drive a C4 so its very different.

Used to be a Deputy Sheriff SWAT officer so the brass ones and a bit crazy come easy

John,

Here is the proven TTA setup with your 04 Z06:

C5Z06 = +7pts

Hoosier A6 tires = +13pts

275s instead of the class 295s = (-4pts)

Sway bars = +2pts

18pts total

You can add the Cold Air Intake for another point, but you will not need the extra power depending on what you do with your weight. You can very easily get these cars under 3,000lbs. At that weight, a simple cleanup tune will put you very near the adjusted hp:wt ratio if you get the competition weight of the car under 3150lbs. I have an 03 and I had to tell my tuner to detune it when I arrived and looked over the numbers (bone stock drivetrain with a K&N drop-in air filter).

Just as important as the modification points above are the free modifications:

- 04 shocks (which you already have)

- bushings

- weight reduction (less weight makes you faster on the straights, in braking and in cornering)

- drop-in air filter

- tune

- lightweight clutch and flywheel

- caster/camber

- lowering and staggering

- brake ducts

- seats and harnesses (no weight gain, but you will be faster and more controlled in a seat with a 6pt)

- SEAT TIME, SEAT TIME, SEAT TIME!!!!!!

- Kevin

I suckered Mark into telling me all (ok most) of his secrets and I'm not telling anyone.

Seriously though, Kevin pretty much nailed it. If you're not on 13pt tires, you're gonna get beat.

The trophies are in all the expensive "free" mods.

Thanks guys for taking all the guess work out of the fastest setup for a C5(Z) in TTA . I will eventually do TTA but I am years behind you guys. Maybe in 2012...

I have a feeling your records will stand for a while. Much respect to Jason, Mark and Scott!

Looking forward to watching you TT and race this season!!

John,

C5Z06 = +7pts

Sway bars = +2pts

18pts total

You can add the Cold Air Intake for another point, but you will not need the extra power depending on what you do with your weight. You can very easily get these cars under 3,000lbs. At that weight, a simple cleanup tune will put you very near the adjusted hp:wt ratio if you get the competition weight of the car under 3150lbs. I have an 03 and I had to tell my tuner to detune it when I arrived and looked over the numbers (bone stock drivetrain with a K&N drop-in air filter).

- bushings

- weight reduction (less weight makes you faster on the straights, in braking and in cornering)

- drop-in air filter

- tune

- caster/camber

- brake ducts

- seats and harnesses (no weight gain, but you will be faster and more controlled in a seat with a 6pt)

- Kevin

Thanks for the great info, looks like it is time to start signing up for HPDE's to get all ther seat time I can.

John,

C5Z06 = +7pts

Sway bars = +2pts

18pts total

- bushings

- drop-in air filter

- tune

- caster/camber

- brake ducts

- Kevin

Forgot to ask in my prev. response, what type of bushings would you recommend ?

You'll have to ask the "cheaters", I have yet to put bushings on my car.

But I can tell you this... if you are just starting, you don't need to worry about them. Until you can run 2:12 on 315 NT01s or 2:08 on 275 A6s at VIR in a full weight C5Z06 (and I mean 3300+lbs with driver), you are not getting everything out of it as it sits from GM.

My .02.

-Kevin

You'll have to ask the "cheaters", I have yet to put bushings on my car.

But I can tell you this... if you are just starting, you don't need to worry about them. Until you can run 2:12 on 315 NT01s or 2:08 on 275 A6s at VIR in a full weight C5Z06 (and I mean 3300+lbs with driver), you are not getting everything out of it as it sits from GM.

My .02.

-Kevin

Ditto or a 1:36x at Road Atlanta...

I like the VBP bushings