Noob intro

hank24

Hey everybody. My name is Matt and I am 27 living in Charlotte. I have waited a long time to finally post this message so I apologize for its length. Ever since I got behind the wheel of a car I have always wanted to someday race (legally). A lot of things took priority first like education and then career but now I have the resources and time to go out and pursue my long time dream.

I have a 2002 S2000 that I have autox regularly for the past two years but I am looking to get out onto a track and learn the racing line. I have tried my best to read as many books as I can and I regularly use Iracing.

A couple things have prevented me going out to a HPDE in the S2000. I have read a lot conflicting info about whether a stock S2000 can go out at many tracks around me. Even if I could I don’t think I would feel comfortable since my head is over the roll bars with a helmet. I really don’t want to put a rollbar on the S2000. I would rather buy something that is more of a track car to work through the HPDE ranks then on to W2W.

I would ideally like to purchase a RWD car that I can learn the ropes and transition that knowledge into a competitive class (Spec Miata, Spec E30, Spec 944). I have debated between buying a Miata/E30 that is set up for HPDE or buying a “streetable” Spec Miata/Spec E30/Spec944. The price difference isn’t far off from eachother but I would personally feel better with a cage around me. I’m obviously focusing on buying a good platform that is cheap, reliable, and easy on consumables.

I summary I’m looking for some direction on what direction I should go when purchasing a track car for my purposes. Also if anyone knows of any ideal candidates around the SE let me know.

Thanks everyone.

race cars for sale:

viewforum.php?f=31

for sale ads of race cars are often posted at tracks, although selection is a bit limited. other than that, there are various websites that specialize in race cars, as well as lots of racing forums with for sale sections.

look around on the forums, maybe ask questions in the sections for classes you find reasonably priced vehicles in and ask about maintenance costs. you should be able to find some more info on costs and problems with different cars.

Since you have a convertible, I'd be concerned with taking it to HPDE without a rollbar or cage that I could fit into. If you wanted to, you could see about having seats installed lower in the car so your head didn't stick out. You would probably have to do the same thing in a Miata, since you have the problem in the S2000. That's if you want to track that car. If not, just look for something that appeals to you, as suggested above.

If you want a "streetable" race car, just get a street car. Prefereable as stock as possible. You will learn more from driving a "slower" car, and eventually be faster that you would have been once you have upgraded it. It could be a long time until you get up through the ranks of HPDE and on to W2W. You might change your mind about what car or class you want to be in or even if you want to W2W at all. You might just end up doing TT instead? You never know. I just did my first HPDE at Road Atlanta in December. It might take me 2 or 3 years to get to W2W. Since I can only drive 3 or 4 events a year it might even take longer.

• 2 weeks later...
You will learn more from driving a "slower" car
and don't forget the boing factor when you get a point by from a C5 when you are driving a Scion XB. Don't laugh, I have seen it happen....

I would like to add this little tid-bit also... You don't want to drive a car on the street that has a full cage. Its dangerous! If you have an accident and your head hits roll bar you are toast, or watermellon, if you get my drift. Roll bar is "okay" on the street only if its far enough away from you (behind you). There are many debates on this subject so I'll just leave you with the knowledge that you don't want to Drive to say Road Atlanta in a fully caged car. Something like that would need to ride on the trailer, or tow dolly if your poor like me.

Guys thanks for the responses. I recently picked up a 97 Miata w/HT that was a former Time Trail car. It has a Hard Dog roll bar so my mellon will still be safe on the street. The car is very clean and came with alot of extras (ultra sheild seats, incar camara, extra set of wheels). I am still working on getting the seat lowered as my head with a helmet still wont pass the broomstick test. Hopefully I can get everything sorted soon so I can head out to the track for my first track day! Thanks again and I hope to meet some of you out at SE region events.

Matt

VIR is definately on my bucket list and should be on everyones. Since I'm in Atlanta, Road Atlanta, Barber, and VIR are the closest "professional" road courses. Its too bad a lot of these awesome tracks don't make it into Forza and Gran Turismo. I have talked to so many people around me that didn't even know there was a world class road course in the metro Atlanta area until it was in Forza.

I definately plan on making it up to VIR sometime this year. CMS CMP and VIR are the closest courses to me so I plan to make it to all of them this year.

I really like Iracing. Its not cheap but it really helps you get comfortable with a track. VIR CMS and RA are on there.

Still working on lower the seat to get my head below the rollbar. If anyone has any experience with this please feel free to offer any advise. I have a SM Ultra Shield that I am lowering to the floor as stock rails are not low enough.

• 2 weeks later...
I definately plan on making it up to VIR sometime this year. CMS CMP and VIR are the closest courses to me so I plan to make it to all of them this year.

I really like Iracing. Its not cheap but it really helps you get comfortable with a track. VIR CMS and RA are on there.

Still working on lower the seat to get my head below the rollbar. If anyone has any experience with this please feel free to offer any advise. I have a SM Ultra Shield that I am lowering to the floor as stock rails are not low enough.

Don't forget about Road Atlanta. Me likey RA. If you want to use your S2K for HPDE, I think it is approved by NASA "as-is".