I need a transponder please

GMP Performance

I am finishing up my registration for comp school and need a transponder number. Does anyone have a good used one for sale? I am located in Charlotte, NC and need it for Feb. 11013 weekend at CMP. Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Keep an eye on here. There have been 1/2 dozen or so listed in the last few weeks.

Be advised that if you buy a used transponder and want to see your results on MyLaps and have it save your history you will need to pay them a transfer fee and provide previous owners info. The information is on their site.

Can you do something in your control panel on this site to set a notification if any post is made with the word transponder in it?

Thanks for the info Doug. I will keep my eyes open and jump on the site to check the transfer procedure. I just joined the site so I am not efficient on it yet but will poke around on the features.

Registering a used oner is not a problem, you just have to consider the fee when buying a used one compared to the cost new. Saving a couple hundred bucks would be worth it to be. I picked up one for a friend last year for only $120. Pricing on used ones here seem to be higher.

You need a transponder:

1. Soon

2. Cheap

Pick 1 of the above.

The $120 transponder deals are few and far between in my experience, but you have to wait for a seller who doesn't fully realize what a used transponder is worth. I was able to get mine used on eBay a couple of years ago for $275, and even that was a pretty good deal. I have seen used ones go for as much as $300-325, which will still save you some money since the direct-wire ones are about $400 new, no matter where you buy them (price fixing?). I didn't bother re-registering mine with MyLaps, since it doesn't matter to me and wasn't worth the additional $50 at the time (which would have cut into my savings).

Keep cruising this site, SCCA forums, eBay, etc. If you find one for a price that you are willing to pay, then you have to jump on it immediately or somebody else will. They don't usually last long.

Mark

Thanks for the input guys. I didnt think about having to transfer the unit. I have seen them for $250-300 but havent been able to get there in time. Factor in the transfer cost and its marginal. In addition, I certainly have a time constraint so it puts a whole different spin on things. I spoke to Ron at Discovery Parts and he is going to take care of me on it. Thanks again for all the help.