E92 M3 vs '11 Mustang

Z06

Your opening a can of worms, but I would like to know your reference as to how a 2011 mustang handles better. The only comparison ive seen is that one magazine article...where the mustang kept up on a track that was shorter that really benefitted the mustang's torque band.

Bang for buck the mustang is better, but the M3 still was *technically* faster.

Because I have both cars and the Mustang is much more forgiving. The E92 pushes like a pig. Even with cup tires on it. The M3 is more difficult to maintain and expensive. More later.

I saw the same article but don't remember the magazine.The new 5.0 pretty muched matched or beat the M3 in every test they put them though.It really pi$$ed off all the loyal bimmer guy's although I thought it was pretty cool to see a $30.000 mustang take on a $65.000 M3 and put it to it.The new boss completely ripped it to shred's.I think either car is a very competitive it just depends on the make you won't.Personaly I love the mustang but before I drop $65.000 on a bimmer I'd go over to the corvette camp at least it's american!

Robert

mustang lover

Finally can write!

The E92 M3 ('09). Awesome car. Great cruiser on the road. Equip it with a DCT and it's amazing. Drive it on the street or highway can't be beat. Drive it on the track stock...different story. Pushes like a pig (even with Michellin Cup competition tires). Stock brakes are good. Suspension is too soft for the track. You have to drive this car like a miata. There is no torque. Bog it and it's a turd. After a few track events, my car is showing issues. Overheated the other month while going up a parking garage. Wasn't abusing it. Car had 16K on it. Now has 18K. Dealership never found the issue and hasn't overheated again. It just stinks occasionally after driving it. Also the interior is rattling and groaning.

The '11 Mustang GT with the Brembo option. The interior has too much hard plastic (door panels) and the ride on the street is horrible. Take it to the track and it just works. Compliant and forgiving. Car is easy to maintain and cheap to operate. About 15 track days on the car and not a single rattle. Very solid. When the car was stock the turnin was accurate and precise. No push. Mild oversteer. As a track car, this to me is the new V8 miata. Cheap and solid build. It's fun and easy to drive. It's fast too! Not Corvette fast but it will hold it's own. Brakes work. Motor always in the power band. It's a great track car and highly recommend one.

In a drag race, and it's all M3. The M3 just walks all over the Mustang. Raced the two cars side by side.

Get over the fact the Mustang has a solid axle. Ford has made it work.

I bought the M3 as street car, but my Corvette keeps breaking. I ran the M3 last year to get points to qualify for Nationals. It sucked! It will never see the track again, hopefully. Then a few weeks before '10 Nationals, the motor popped again on the Corvette.

I wouldn't buy another Corvette. Used or new. Decided to buy an '11 Mustang. Leave the motor and drivetrain stock. If it breaks I have a warranty. If it continues to break, get rid of it. So far it's been good! Broke an endlink this past event. Cheap fix. 15 or so track days and counting.

Granted the Corvette will run rings around both cars. When mine runs, it run rings around everything! When it runs. Just need to sort out oiling issues.

Have to add Mr. Armstrong has done quite a bit of work to his Z06. I thought that included replacing the stock dry sump with one that worked at high sideways loads, but I might be wrong.

I'm also a big fan of the new Mustang. It does in fact just work. Very nice car. Not going to give up on my vette just yet though.

Has the ARE "fix." 4th motor in 2 seasons. Fun factor is at a all time low for that car. People tried to talk me into a miata...hum no thanks! Would rather watch paint dry. And no they are not faster in the corners. Always coasting and hitting brakes when behind a miata in the twisty sections.

Miata is a great car. Cheap. Reliable. Not for me.