Hankooks V. Hoosier R6

Rokket H.

• Members

I have been using Hoosiers for quite some time, and recently, I have been convinced to try a set of Hankook (C-51 compound). The Hankook dealer made me a killer deal on em' , but I have not used them yet.

Anybody have experience with both of these brands? (PCA Club Racer) 89 944TS

Thanks

Der Rokket

doing it wrong - If it was a C91 'kook then that'd be a pretty valid debate

Hoosier has the best support and the gold standard when it comes to race tires. Tough to go wrong with 'em.

:?:I have been using Hoosiers for quite some time, and recently, I have been convinced to try a set of Hankook (C-51 compound). The Hankook dealer made me a killer deal on em' , but I have not used them yet.

Anybody have experience with both of these brands? (PCA Club Racer) 89 944TS

Thanks

Der Rokket

I used both R6's and C51's on my GTS2 car, and here are some general observations that were true for me, YMMV:

* Beware the mold release. On the 'kooks, when you first go out on them, take it easy. The mold release is scary slick.

* They don't seem to drop off as severely as the R6's did after 8 cycles or so.

* Careful with your wheels, they don't have that nice bead that the R6's have that sticks out further than the rim. You can stack an R6 flat and rubber will touch the ground. Do the same with the C51 and you are scratching your wheels. Just sayin'.

* I never had an issue, but these are coming from overseas and some folks had supply issues. Never a problem with Hoosier.

• Members

I got a pretty decent source on the Hankook C71/C51 from Gruppe S in California. The complete set (275/40-17 & 245/40-17) was $818 shippped 3-day select to my door. I have 2- sets of wheels with R6 and C51. Will try each set at Sebring next week. I have heard nothing but praises on both manufacturers. The Hoosiers are getting pricey...especially for test/tune & DE events.

Appreciate all your feedback!!

Thanks

Der Rokket

There are 3 West Coast TTers that I know of that like the Hankook better than the Hoosier. A e30 M3 record holder, a 944 record holder and myself, s197 Mustang I do have a record but its nothing to brag on and set on Hoosier r6 (emergence course change).

The 3 of us agree the Hankook is at least .50 sec faster or better than an a6. The kook will break lose and snap around in the rear if overdrivin. In my case the Hoosier cycles out in about 9 or 10 sessions. I have the same issue with my stock car Hoosiers. My first set of Hankooks lasted 40 cycles on a 3400lb track weight car. Afterward I ran them about 24 to 28 cycles and still had life in them but not at there best. The only reason I switched was I needed a bigger tire. If I still ran TT and I ran a size that Hankook made I would give up the great Hoosier contingency for the faster Hankook. I never had any bad issues with the Hankook other than the snap over-steer. I think they have better feed back in both lateral grip and braking.

I ran the Hankooks for a season a few years ago (before the Hoosier contingency program started) on a 968-powered 924S (TTB car; 225/45-15). I really liked them, more so than the R6's. The kooks were as fast as the R6 but lasted much longer. In fact I still have the TTB track record at Barber that was set on tires with an absurd number of heat cycles (<20)

The only reason I stopped running them was the HoHo contingency was much better and I was having issues finding the kooks.