Remove spare tire?

chriswerneresq

I'm signed up for a Hyperdrive this weekend, and the pre-tech form says the spare tire needs to be removed. If someone can confirm this for me, that would be great... don't feel like leaving the spare lying somewhere while I'm at the track, so I'd have to have a buddy bring a car to put it in.

Thanks!

Theft is almost unheard of at a NASA track event. People work hard to get to run their car at a track and they recognize others do as well. I wouldn’t be worried, especially for a spare tire.

Are you worried about it getting stolen? maybe you could ask somebody around the track to put it somewhere for you.

So YES, it does have to be removed?

Sorry for the paranoia. I'm originally from NJ, and at tracks there you're lucky if you still have all your valve stem caps and lug nut covers at the end of the day.

If you're really worried park next to a racer or someone with an enclosed trailer and I'm sure if you ask nice they'll let you store your spare with their stuff. 99.9% of people at NASA events are nice, friendly, helpful people and would be happy to help out anyone else, especially someone new Road course people in general watch out for their own, it's nothing like local test-n-tune night at the dragstrip or whatever else you've been to.

Yes, I'd remove ANYTHING from the car that would become a projectile in a crash. You and your instructor's life could be at stake.

Thanks everyone for their advice. Obviously I'll have everything out of the interior of the car, do I need to empty the glovebox as well?

Thanks everyone for their advice. Obviously I'll have everything out of the interior of the car, do I need to empty the glovebox as well?

Yep, all this is part of what they want to see when you go through tech. Leave the gloves at home

It wouldn't hurt to take out anything you easily can like that - if nothing else your instructor will feel more at ease since you're so well prepared A relaxed instructor is a fun instructor, and a fun instructor leads to a happy student.

Sorry for the paranoia. I'm originally from NJ, and at tracks there you're lucky if you still have all your valve stem caps and lug nut covers at the end of the day.

I will agree that for normal NASA events your stuff is safe. Trust me, you will see lots more valuable stuff sitting around, tools, food, adult beverages etc., and all will be there when you get off track. The only time I worry about my stuff is at spectator events like the hyperfest. At these events, the spectators aren't your normal NASA crowd, and are more likely to have sticky fingers.