Sunroofs on TT cars?

McGyver

Many have them and are kept closed but at an event late last year I saw a car on the grid with his S/R partly open. When I saw him after the session I asked about it and he told me it was OK if you are wearing arm restraints or have a window net installed there. Is this true as there is nothing in the CCRs about this?

I was told that TT is run under HPDE safety tech and not under W2W rules that says all sunroofs must be bolted or clamped shut somehow.

Thanks for an answer to this......

McGyver

Thanks, but nothing there to be specific about S/R. I've been TTing for many years and this was the first I saw an open S/R on track. Just would like to know if that is a regional thing or permitted everywhere in NASA.

Why wouldn't you just keep it closed and not worry about anything? If you're going for partly open at an angle, I see that as an aero advantage like the S2k Mugen hardtop. +12

In this case, it would be best to check with your region's registrar about the sunroof policy, since it does not appear in the CCR. As a similar example, I quickly scanned the CCR for mention of the placement of convertible tops, and I did not find anything; however, our region has a separate form that specifically mentions that all convertible tops shall be down.

Now, if an open sunroof is seen as an aero advantage, then this becomes a different discussion.

Mark

Since I run in TTR I'm allowed any aero advantage I can find.

Do I have to go straight to Greg with my question to find the real answer instead of just suggestions?

Since I run in TTR I'm allowed any aero advantage I can find.

Do I have to go straight to Greg with my question to find the real answer instead of just suggestions?

Is your original question one of general HPDE safety or one of TT aerodynamics?

It is always best to go to Greg for TT-related clarifications, as the rest of us do not write the rules.

Mark

• National Staff

From the CCR in the Competition Section:

15.5 Driver restraint system

(See diagram at end of section)

1. All vehicles must have a five (5), six (6), or seven (7) point seat belt system. Arm

restraints are required in open cars and cars with: Open T-tops, Open Targa

tops, missing moon/sun roofs, or glass moon/sun roofs.

So, an open sun roof is legal in racing, provided that the driver has arm restraints and a 5-7 point harness (and cage). The HPDE section mentions that open cars should have roll protection/bars. So, I think that ultimately it will come down to a local decision in regard to TT. If the car has a roll bar, and the driver has arm restraints, I don't see why the sun roof can't be open, partially or fully (in TTR).

IGNORED!!

But while on the subject of safety in TT, what are the requirements for a car such as the Ariel Atom? Had to run with one last summer and the driver didn't even have on arm restraints. Think a fool would have to drive one in competition with such minimal bodywork and protection. Anyone else seen one running in DE or TT?

But while on the subject of safety in TT, what are the requirements for a car such as the Ariel Atom? Had to run with one last summer and the driver didn't even have on arm restraints. Think a fool would have to drive one in competition with such minimal bodywork and protection. Anyone else seen one running in DE or TT?

I've seen them in DE events a few times, and the driver did not use arm restraints, but there is no rule pertaining to that for DE. I've never seen one in TT. It would certainly be safer to use arm restraints when driving such a car. I have heard that Atoms are a lot of fun to drive, and they can turn Jeremy Clarkson into an alien.

Note that the CCR are split into 2 separate sections for HPDE and Competition (TT falls under HPDE, as we already know). Determine the use for a particular car, then refer to the requirements in that section. Of course, it is always fine to use more safety gear than is required.

Mark