HPDE

E34525TDS

Hello,

I am new to NASA and I am very interested in attending the next event in March. I was wondering if I have to do the three days of HPDE 1 or is level one one day and then you spend the other two in HPDE 2. I dont know if it is even necessary to go on friday or only sat and sun are enough. Any guidance would be very much apraeciated. Thanks.

Hello and welcome. Which region are you in? Each HPDE level is usually a two-day program, and many people don't progress to the next level in just one weekend (i.e. it may take you a few weekends in HPDE1 to get to HPDE2, and so on.) Fridays - in this region anyway - are not HPDE days, they are instead used for things like racer test & tune, advanced & instructor open practice, instructor clinics, competition licensing schools, and soforth. That is (again in this region specifically) you can't do any of the Friday stuff until you are at least to HPDE3 level. Other regions may be different. Regardless, hope it helps!

Thnx. I am in the SoCal region and was looking at the march 4-6 event and saw only HPDE 1 on friday and SAT and SUN only HPDE 2-4 available. Than i read the definition of the HPDEs and saw 2 said

"You apply what you learned in the Group 1 sessions to get more practice. Group 2 is often mixed with Group 1 and is for those drivers that want some more Group 1 seat-time, but do not need an instructor. "

SO was wondering if 1 is an intro and 2 was the practice?

Hey man I did my firdt DE 1 in December here in Atlanta. Here in the SE region, HPDE (DE for short) usually takes place on saturday and sunday. Usually you sign up for the group you want/need to be in for the whole weekend. I was hoping to progress to solo by the end of sunday but I did not. (Solo is being checked off by your instructer to drive in DE 1 without him. usually the first step to moving up to DE 2) I felt bad about it at first but now looking back I am glad I am going spend another weekend in DE 1. There is a lot you can learn from an instructor that you can't teach yourself. Plus I need to learn to look farther down track and at the corner stations more. Its so easy to zoom your vision into the bumber in front of you.

I need to learn to look farther down track and at the corner stations more. Its so easy to zoom your vision into the bumber in front of you.
Matt, I'll even wave as you go by

In SE there are no DE's on Friday. You might want to ask a question like this in the region your event is in. Go further down the board and you will see socal and norcal regions. The people there will no more of what goes on in your region since it can vary more the farther away we are from each other. SE and Mid-Atlantic are similar so I have heard. I have not doen any Mid-A events before so I have no first hand.

Thanks for the info. I sounds like i should be in HPDE 1 Sat and Sun. Is it worth it to do friday also or just SAT SUN. Thnx

Cali Speedway is a 3 day event. No racing on Friday, but everything else (TT and HPDE).

Fridays a good day just because there are not as many people/cars. So that means there "may" be more track time and less stuff going on around you. So you can focus more on what you’re doing. But you do not need to be there.

3 days in a row on a track is great learning experience, as with anything else. The more time you have doing something. The better you’re going to be at it.

As Mat has said, don't worry about moving to fast from HPDE 1 to 2. They are run in the same group. The only main difference is in 1 you get an instructor. In 2 you’re on your own while you’re in your car.

I feel that's one of the biggest PLUS to stay as long as you can in HPDE 1. I think the smart guys have to be kicked out, and into HPDE 2

But when ever we have extra instructors’, we will jump in a HPDE 2 car.