new to HPDE, few questions

Synderesis

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to go to my first HPDE, but as I understand it since it's my first time I'm supposed to join HPDE1 right?

This is going to be my first track day, so hopefully HPDE isn't too much for me to handle, or maybe some of you would recommend I try autocrossing first? I have an S2000 so I think I'm going to need a roll bar, but I don't really want to install it without trying to a track day first to see that I'm going to keep going. That's one thing that makes me think I should just do autocross instead, but the idea of sitting around all day for a few minutes on the track doesn't really sound all too great to me.

Anyway, the only thing I've done related to motorsport is a bit of indoor karting, but by a bit I mean really minimal. So, with that in mind, I think everyone would agree that I should join HPDE1. Only problem is, on the event registration there's only HPDE1 on Friday, and I won't be able to make it on Friday because I have school. Do I just have to wait for another event?

I'm hoping to work my way up to HPDE 4 someday, and then do Time Trials! I don't want to spend too much though because I'm just a college student so that means mods are not really an option, and that's another reason that I feel maybe I should do autocross instead, although I don't really see any info on NASA-X in the socal region which makes me think I'd have to go to SCCA, but SCCA's website is a nightmare to navigate through.

Thanks everyone!

maybe some of you would recommend I try autocrossing first?

NO!!!

I have an S2000 so I think I'm going to need a roll bar, but I don't really want to install it without trying to a track day first to see that I'm going to keep going.

Convertables must have 4 pt roll bar for track.

Not needed for autox.

I think everyone would agree that I should join HPDE1.

You won't have an option there; you will be in DE1.

Thanks everyone!

Check the socal forum a few floors below. They will have the info you need since you said you are in that region.

Good Luck!!

Oh so I need to install a roll bar no matter what? According to the website though, "A factory roll bar such as those found on a Honda S2000 may fulfill this requirement, but “style bars” or “show bars” found on some other cars would not work." so I thought that would mean I don't have to.

Of course I realize that riding around without one is extremely dangerous so I will get one installed for sure, I just don't know when I can get it done. Actually, I guess I should because even without a helmet, my head is practically as high as it goes..

Thanks though, I'll go ask in the other forum.

• Members
Oh so I need to install a roll bar no matter what? According to the website though, "A factory roll bar such as those found on a Honda S2000 may fulfill this requirement, but “style bars” or “show bars” found on some other cars would not work." so I thought that would mean I don't have to.

Of course I realize that riding around without one is extremely dangerous so I will get one installed for sure, I just don't know when I can get it done. Actually, I guess I should because even without a helmet, my head is practically as high as it goes..

Thanks though, I'll go ask in the other forum.

An S2000 is on the approved list for HPDE in NASA as is. Welcome to NASA.