Ballast?

sonny

I've got an H5 car -- 1987 CRX HF. It was a front running SCCA ITC car earlier in it's life.

It's a very well sorted car & the last logbook entry for it when it was raced (2008) showed it weighed 1,990 lbs. Well, I just had it weighed at my first event & I'm well under the minimum weight of 2k lbs for H5. With me in it, the car only weighs 1,905 lbs. So, it looks like I have to pork it out some.

I'm assuming given rule 5.1.2c, the ballast would be best placed as far rearward, but no further back than the rearmost OEM location for the px seat. Ideally, more weight should be placed over the rear axle given how light the back of the CRX is. But given the rules, I can't put any ballast back there, right?

Put a big battery back there. Also Your Fire System bottle of you have one. And run more GAs than you need like full tank.

Edo

I've got an H5 car -- 1987 CRX HF. It was a front running SCCA ITC car earlier in it's life.

It's a very well sorted car & the last logbook entry for it when it was raced (2008) showed it weighed 1,990 lbs. Well, I just had it weighed at my first event & I'm well under the minimum weight of 2k lbs for H5. With me in it, the car only weighs 1,905 lbs. So, it looks like I have to pork it out some.

I'm assuming given rule 5.1.2c, the ballast would be best placed as far rearward, but no further back than the rearmost OEM location for the px seat. Ideally, more weight should be placed over the rear axle given how light the back of the CRX is. But given the rules, I can't put any ballast back there, right?

Put a big battery back there. Also Your Fire System bottle of you have one. And run more GAs than you need like full tank. Edo

The rules don't allow me to place the battery anywhere else other than the stock location.

The weight of 1,905 lbs was with me in it & almost a full tank of gas as I just filled it up before the sprint race. (Even after 6, 20-30 minute track sessions, I only used 5 gallons of gas. So after a sprint race, I'm sure it was still almost full.)

Good idea about the Fire Bottle as it's in the px footwell at the moment. I'll put that in the back as well as the cooler for my Cool Shirt.

Any other ideas for adding weight to the back?

put the spair tire back in? Rules say you "can" removed it, but not "must be" removed.

put the rear spakers back in?

big heavy muffler?

custom rear sway bar mounts made from large chunks of steel?

large heavy rear tow hook made from steel?

put the spair tire back in? Rules say you "can" removed it, but not "must be" removed...

Actually, rule 7.11.f states, "The spare tire & all associated components must be removed."

I originally thought as you did but the rules state otherwise.

You can install an accusump (2or3 qt.) near the RR wheel well witch will add about 12 pounds and possibly save a motor at some point. If you are allowed to add a rear strut brace that will help especially if you make it your self. Mine weigh's about 10 pounds.

• 2 months later...

buy some weight, drill some holes in it, make an ample backing plate for it and bolt that fcuker to the passanger floor. donzo.

• 4 weeks later...

It states in rule 7.11i you can leave the stereo and speakers in it so im woundering if you can have a subwoffer box in there if its mounted to the floor board?

• National Staff
It states in rule 7.11i you can leave the stereo and speakers in it so im woundering if you can have a subwoffer box in there if its mounted to the floor board?

In actuality, that wouldn't be legal unless the subwoofer box had come with the car as a "factory" component.

The rule actually states:

7.11 Vehicle Interior

i) Stereo, speakers and related wiring may be removed.

That doesn't say you can add whatever you want "stereo" wise and have it be legal.

That just says you can take all the stuff out that came in the car as "stock"! Big difference.

In actuality, that wouldn't be legal unless the subwoofer box had come with the car as a "factory" component.

7.11 Vehicle Interior

That doesn't say you can add whatever you want "stereo" wise and have it be legal.

That just says you can take all the stuff out that came in the car as "stock"! Big difference.

Right but what if your racecar is "street driven" and you need a loud ass sound system to overpower the noise of the engine?

• National Staff

7.11 Vehicle Interior

Right but what if your racecar is "street driven" and you need a loud ass sound system to overpower the noise of the engine?

Totally under "why" you'd want it, but it's still not a legal option IMO.