Build .vs Rule questions.

05SI

So my first question is about the "Passenger" door.

I would like to gut the passenger door of it's OEM bracing for weight reasons. There is about 20+ lbs in there I would like out. I find this wording confusing, is this reffering to the OEM door impact bars or the roll cage?

I have NASCAR bars on the drivers side and a bow tie X on the passenger side. Input?

15.6.12 Door Bars / Side Impact Protection

At least one (1) door bar on driver side and one (1) on the passenger side must be used.

At least two (2) door bars on the driver side and one (1) door bar on the passenger side

must be installed in all vehicles that obtain a new logbook after January 1st, 2007.

All vehicles, regardless of date of manufacture or date of logbook issuance will be

required to have at least two (2) door bars on the driver side and one (1) door bar on the

passenger side starting January 1st, 2011.

Unless superseded by class rules, modifications to any non-chassis structure (such as

door panels, inner door sheet metal, windows, door internals, etc.) may be made to

accommodate any allowed door bar configuration. However, removal of material and /

or modifications is limited to 1) the least amount to accommodate the door bar(s), and 2)

can serve no other function. Holes in the door jam (B-pillar) may be permitted to

accommodate door bars; however the structure should not be “notched” so as to weaken

it.

_DSC0081-1.jpg

My second question is about OEM bumper supports. Are these removable and/or ok to alter?

If it matters I'm looking at ST2. I can't find anything in the STSU rules about these things. I also couldn't find anything about bumper supports.

Thanks for any help.

Christian

• National Staff

Christian,

You can gut the doors completely in ST as long as you have adequate roll cage construction (which it looks like you do). You can remove the OEM bumper supports, but should make sure that again you have adequate protection. You can fab your own bumper supports if you wish.