HPDE question on track cones/markers

Sin17

I have taken part in the DE events with the Porsche Club of America and was considering joining the NASA as well.

1. I noticed some videos where the track is not marked by cones ie. The turn-in and apex are not marked by cones. I have never seen a hide without that: is that how most hide events at NASA take place??

2. Is there a list of tech shops for inspection? I was thinking of getting the care prepped by my usual mechanic (who is pca approved for inspections) but a little tougher for me to visit another shop for inspection... Will nasa accept a tech form which is used by pca?

3. Maybe I should just use the inspection at the track?

Welcome to NASA.

1. Sometimes there are cones to mark turn-in, apex, and track-out. They usually only last through the morning until the race groups go out.

2. You would need to use the NASA tech form (if I am wrong someone correct me). You can do all the inspections yourself or if you feel more comfortable with having your mechanic do it that is acceptable as well. The form is just to make sure you do your do diligence in car prep.

3. The inspection at the track is another set of eyes in the process, some regions have a more hands on inspection than others.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks... Seems like straightforward, my mechanic should not have any issue filling out the form... I do plan to have the brakes bled anyway

U guys ridden with any other groups? I love the pca but not too many weekend events that are suiting this year.... Plus wanna just go out there and meet other clubs... Only thing that sometimes concerns me is that all cars are allowed at NASA - at the pca the cars are similar so most can maintain speeds.

Where do you live?

There are many clubs out there. I would simply try several and find the ones you like the most, and stick with them. Some are more lax than others, some are very strict. PCA has a reputation for being a very well run event, with no shenanigans. They got that way for a reason! No harm in trying as many as you can.

The cones thing seems to vary by track in my experience. Don't let them turn into a crutch btw, good driver can run just as fast and run the correct line without them

Thanks... Seems like straightforward, my mechanic should not have any issue filling out the form... I do plan to have the brakes bled anyway

U guys ridden with any other groups? I love the pca but not too many weekend events that are suiting this year.... Plus wanna just go out there and meet other clubs... Only thing that sometimes concerns me is that all cars are allowed at NASA - at the pca the cars are similar so most can maintain speeds.

NASA puts on a great program, come out and have fun. Dont be concerned with the speed of the other cars...in HPDE, the speeds of the cars is 90% driver, 10% horsepower.

Cones move. Usually durring the racer practice sessions.

Tis much better to pick points in your field of vision.

They also tend to keep your eyes "down", when you can keep them up and look further down the track you will be much smoother thru the turns.

Thanks... I an in NYC, hence most of the time have been out with pca (lots of weekend events)... I sure will try out NASA this year as the NE region does have some good events..

As for the speed of other cars, I was more worried about slower cars - because NASA will let any car into the events... But am sure it will be fine once I can move through hpde2 and hpde3

As for the speed of other cars, I was more worried about slower cars - because NASA will let any car into the events... But am sure it will be fine once I can move through hpde2 and hpde3

Just drive "flat out"

like we just said, until HPDE3 or so the speeds are VASTLY more dependent on the driver's mastery of skills you'll learn in DEs.

The PCAs I've run with allow all cars. I agree with the other comments; in HPDE it's not about the car but the capability of the driver. The attached video is from the black group with Florida Citrus PCA at Roebling Road.