Head and Neck Restraints

imarcr2

I noticed there is no requirement for a Hans or equivalent device in the rules.

Is NASA planning on making this a requirement in the future?

I intend to do TTs this year, but plan on going to WtWheel in the future, so if it is a requirement only in wheel to wheel, I would still rather buy the correct gear now. I like the "defender" the best out of the ones I have looked at.

Thanks, Bill

I can see them making it a requirement for the racing classes but not for HPDE/TT. Its like making the cars have a full cage. A lot of the TTers use their street cars, which may or may not have a seat which accommodates a HANS device. Not to mention the $600 starting price of a HANS might keep people from doing TT if it is mandatory.

I hate how the word "HANS" is used in refrence to head and neck restraints like the word "Kleenex" for nasal tissue, anywho

Seeing as how alot of wheel to wheel race clubs still don't require an SFI38.1 compliant head and neck restraint (HANS, R3, Hybrid, Defender, etc) I doubt we'll see that pushed down on HPDE in NASA (where TT falls under).

You'll probably see a rollbar requirement first if anything

(note this is 100% unofficial opinion / speculation)

since we are on the subject, which device do you like the best?

I am leaning toward the defender as it appears offer better protection, better comfort, side impact protection, doesn't have a big hump on the back like the R3/Hybrids.

I wear an R3, and you don't notice the lump on the back at all. I prefer the types of devices that move with your torso as well, but that's just me (and I'm no expert). If I were buying new again the Hybrid or whatever device that Safety Solutions just got FIA approval for (the 2nd device to do so, 1st was HANS but I'm not a fan) would be first on my list. Those kinds of devices work well for my small cockpit car and non-winged seat. YMMV, research em to know each devices upsides and downsides, try a few on if possible, and pick what works best for your setup.

I spoke with one of the dealers yesterday, and he mentioned that I would have to cut the padding out of the seat, so that I wouldn't feel the hump on the back of the hybrid....sure would like if these were sold locally to try them out.

If I understand this properly, the R3/hybrid models do not require the harness to work...is that the main advantage?

I don't have the U shaped pad in my car, nor in the LeMons E30 I drive regularly fwiw. If I redo my seat setup I might slip that pad in on my car, but it really doesn't bother me so I end up working on more important things between events

I have worn the device when doing check rides and instructing in regular 3pt belt cars. Can't hurt, right?

I have a Defnder and like it. That being said, it does not fit my brother properly. He ended up with a HANS Sport. I would ask friends at the track and try to find the right fit

I recently purchased an Safety Solutions R3 and intended to put the U-shaped pad in my race seat, but never got around to it. And never noticed it anyway. I like and went with the R3 because it allows me to wear it when I instruct for students that have OEM 3pt belts.

Last week I went and had Safety Solutions custom fit a cable slide on my unit instead of the adjustable tethers. Night and day difference! I now have full range of motion from left to right while still retaining the safety of the device. They actually made my cable 3/4" shorter than I had the tethers adjusted, so the device is even safer on me than before.

-Kevin

Regardless of requirements, buy as much safety gear as you can afford and use it correctly. The F1 guys may get paid more than us, but our value to our loved ones is no different than theirs.

I purchased a DefNder a month ago, but haven't taken the time to drill my helmet for it etc. I'm planning on doing it this week before coming down to RA. I chose the DefNder based on price and comfort.

I've used the R3 since 2005. The stem going down the spine never bothered me and I used it with and without the cut out foam piece. I lost the foam and never missed it.

I finally shifted to a Hans last year. I don't know why, but I like how it fits better than the R3.

YMMV.

If you can go on and try a bunch. I went into OG racing against the EVIL HANS and trying to get the defender. After trying on both and going back and forth multiple times, I ended up with the HANS, go figure.

The DefNder just was really crappy to put on and off and rubbed my neck a good bit. And the upside to the defnder with the side to side neck safety isnt as much as I expected and would rather have a good halo seat which im going to. Go with which one is comfortable for you personally, not as much for the one with the "features".

If you can go on and try a bunch. I went into OG racing against the EVIL HANS and trying to get the defender. After trying on both and going back and forth multiple times, I ended up with the HANS, go figure.

The DefNder just was really crappy to put on and off and rubbed my neck a good bit. And the upside to the defnder with the side to side neck safety isnt as much as I expected and would rather have a good halo seat which im going to. Go with which one is comfortable for you personally, not as much for the one with the "features".

When did you try the DefNder on? Reason I ask is supposedly they re-designed it to be a bit wider and slide on/off easily. Also, mine came with two spacers to make it even wider for those with thick necks. I'm 6'4" 240 w/ a pretty thick neck and I don't have any issues sliding it on/off. I have no experience with the original version to compare to though.

About a month/month and a half ago. Dont know wether it was their new design or not. I came in there wanting a defnder but bought the HANS, not saying people will, just saying keep your mind open. Could go either way, dont go in there just wanting a HANS as well.

It's become clear to me that fire suits and neck restraints are not made for gym rats. With the suit I can never get my shoulders out without help or a Lethal Weapon shoulder dislocation, or I buy one big enough that I have 10" too much waiste a 1' to much length. It's the same with the neck restraints, my neck and traps didn't fit in the XL, but the XXL is like equine bridal; and I only weigh 190lb. It's the same way with the DefNder.

Kevin,

How much did Safety Solutions charge to convert yours to a slide cable? I'd love to convert my R3 as that is the only dislike I have of it. Best part is that 3" shoulder belts fit it unlike a HANS device has enough trouble with 2" belts.

McGyver

Kevin,

How much did Safety Solutions charge to convert yours to a slide cable? I'd love to convert my R3 as that is the only dislike I have of it. Best part is that 3" shoulder belts fit it unlike a HANS device has enough trouble with 2" belts.

McGyver

McGyver,

Typical charge is $80. Since I got my R3 directly from them, the charge was only $40 something.

Their office is located in the Simpson World building in Mooresville, NC at Exit 36 on I-77. Great people to work with. They will cut and fit the cables for you as you wait, or you can measure your adjustable tether and have them make it. Since I live a mile or so away, I just drove my car and everything up there and had Trevor measure me while I was strapped in with everything on.

Let me know if you need their information or directions.

-Kevin

Thanks,

I was just there in Sept but not on Rolling Hiills Rd near I-77 but on the west side of town,

left off hwy 150 in an industrial area. Wish I knew then about the conversion and they didn't mention it. Guess I'll go back up as I need some window nets made for my new car and normal ones won't fit.

I'll look at yours at RA this wknd.

McGyver

I will not be at RA this weekend - daughter's gymnastics meet > daddy's track time

My next track event is VIR with Mid-A later this month. If you need pics, send me a PM.

I ended up buying a Defender with a new helmet from Discovery Parts. Talk to Ron if you need any technical details. He actually preferred the Hans, but I might get a chance to drive an open wheel car on occasion and you would need a different model Hans to do both sedan and open wheel racing.

Just an update... I had Ron drill my older G-force helmet and install my DefNder this weekend at RA. I absolutely love it. Before the DefNder my shoulder straps would dig into my neck over the course of the weekend and rub it raw. The brace kept my straps off of my neck but it also allowed me to shinch myself in much tighter and more secure because the brace spread the pressure out over a larger portion of my chest. Overall I felt even better in the car not to mention being safer.

Thanks again Ron for helping me out. Oh and thanks for exchanging my defective Chatter-box

Oh and thanks for exchanging my defective Chatter-box

What a pain in the ass that was......Smooth your inputs....WHAT? I SHOULD GO FASTER?!...NOOO!!! (its Don)

Oh and thanks for exchanging my defective Chatter-box

What a pain in the ass that was......Smooth your inputs....WHAT? I SHOULD GO FASTER?!...NOOO!!! (its Don)

Yes that sucked... even in my student's G6 rental car yelling barely worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone out there that feels a head and neck restraint device is not necessary, I am evidence that you need to rethink.

A tire blew and I hit the wall on turn two sideways at Auto Club Speedway (Cal Speedway) three weeks ago. It felt like my head hit the roll cage on the other side of the car. Like someone had slapped me as hard as they could on the side of the head with a phone book.

It was when my Hans straps reached their limit and stopped my helmet from travel. If I hadn't been wearing a Hans, my neck would have snapped. With the design of the Hans and the helmet I was wearing, I didn't even have a headache.

So, wear those restraints and keep those harnesses tight!