Looking for advice on ballast placement to improve setup

Mystic_Cobra

I need to add some weight to my nose-heavy car. Anyone have advice or articles that address the best place to add the weight?

I know the basics...add the weight to the rear. Is it bad to put the weight all the way to the back? Does it matter if it is high or low?

Lower the better and center the better Jimmy.

Correct as a general proposition. You really need to put the car on scales to see where the ballast optimizes cross weights.

On my car (fox body) I have to run the RR shock 1/2" higher to get the crossweights even, as my RR is the light corner. Adding weight would help balance the car. I'd guess every mustang out there is going to be nose heavy and light in the RR corner. Aluminum block and IRS might help the numbers though. Generally lower and between the axles is better. I was going to add an extension off the back of the passenger subframe connector to bolt weight to, but my HP/TQ isn't high enough to require it...

Hey Jimmy. I would agree with Ed's idea but if fabrication is out of the question or you have side exhaust that would make it too difficult, I would think the next best place would be where the right rear passenger's butt would have been.

The only cardinal rule I follow with ballast placement, aside from the usual make sure you have it on scales, is to never put it behind the rear axle, like in the spare tire well. Reason being is that this creates a "pendulum effect" when cornering and could take your mild understeer condition and turn it into a moderate to excessive oversteer one.

As Eric said, keep it low and keep it in the middle.