Car #s

imarcr2

Hello,

Getting ready to buy my Car numbers/class designation and have a question. I drive a Miata, so I have glass, aluminum,plastic and steel.

I would like to put the stickers that need to be on the front and rear of the car in the front and rear windows of the car...is this legal?

This is still a street car, so do most "dual purpose cars" use magnetic decals on the side of the car(where the #s have to be pretty large)?

Thanks, Bill

I don't care for the sticker requirement either, but rules are rules I suppose. Magnets are great but they don't stay on the car so I had to do $60 in vinyl. My car is also street driven, but not a daily driver. I wish we could do a smaller number because the 10" numbers look HUGE on my little car. However, I suppose that's what DE4 is around for. The big stickers scored me "flashing blue and red" 3 times on my drive to and from Houston, a "no-front plate" ticket, and a bunch of stupid questions because I drive the car to and from the track.

I challenge you to find a magnet that stays on the car, then tell me about it so I can follow suit.

bevel cut the edges and then use a tiny bit of tape to hold the leading edge down anyway - did this for YEARS of DE and into my early TT days...

I wasn't too concerned about the magnets flying off....it's a Miata

What about putting the #/class on the passenger side of the windshield for the front and back requirement?

might be able to even tape up a number board to the inside of the glass if it isn't tinted too much, assuming the angle wouldn't be so extreme as to make it difficult to read, and assuming it wouldn't block an important field of view. Lot of "ifs" in there

I'd love to see some creative solutions out there so these street driven cars can meet the numbering requirments but be able to revert back to a less attention-getting configuration for the street share the ideas you have that end up working!

I autox quite frequently. All the young punks like driving their cars to lunch with their #s on the car...."yeah babe, I race that Elantra, just waiting on a call from Penske to replace Helio any day now!"

I spend an extra minute to take all the decals off before I go out for lunch to avoid unwanted attention...from the law and the inevitable "why would you race a miata?"

bevel cut the edges and then use a tiny bit of tape to hold the leading edge down anyway - did this for YEARS of DE and into my early TT days...

I thought this was covered under the "zOMG, no-tape!!!" order, but I like it. I toyed with the idea of a number plate but we're talking about a magnet the size of the Miata door after the class and NASA stickers:

168703_932501891810_23911356_46783011_7832252_n.jpg

Wow, what a remarkably stylish Miata. I must admit that I miss driving it to work once per week, and last weekend's shake-down commute garnered a lot of laughs and finger pointing.

9 Car Appearance

9.1 Numbers and Class Designation

All NASA TT cars must display a three-digit number on both sides and the front and rear of the

car unless a one or two digit number has been assigned to that vehicle by NASA TT

administration. Numbers must be of a contrasting color to the car or otherwise clearly visible, at

least 10-inches tall with a 1.5-inch stroke for the sides, and four inches high for the rear. NASA

TT cars must also display a class designation on both sides and the front and rear of the car in a

four-inch height in contrasting color to the car. Class Designations shall be TT followed by the

group number. For example, an A Group competitor would display “TTA” as a class

designation.

9.2 General Car Appearance

All vehicles must be in good condition and appearance. Vehicles with excessive body damage,

primered body panels, etc., are not permitted. The vehicle must meet the “50/50” rule, which

means it must look undamaged and straight at fifty (50) mph from fifty (50) feet away.

9.3 NASA Decals

All NASA TT cars must display a minimum of two NASA decals, one on the front and one on

the rear of the vehicle. Additionally, if the competitor is participating in any contingency award

program(s), there must be two more NASA decals (on each side of the vehicle).

and here for TX specific:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=38586

Things that are highly suggested:

Good looking graphics and all the proper stickers in place.

no where outright bans tape, however, its not hard to get graphics, magnetics, or a number board setup these days And its a great idea to secure them, just do so neatly so you can meet the "highly suggested" part of things

Mine had TTB on the driver and passenger door and with the class change and new rules I was afraid they wouldn't run my first event with tape. Got the OK, but then found someone that could make the numbers and letters I needed and deliver them to the first event.

For 4" TTA, qty 4 and 4" 114, qty2 it was only $25.

Picked up some NASA stickers a couple weeks before the event when I had my annual and I was legal.

solotime has a good package of reuseable vinyl numbers.

Here's mine, 30 seconds before heading to the track... Yeah, it gets some looks, but there's not a cop in the universe that could issue a "racing" ticket if you have a trailer bumping along behind... I suppose a head full of grey hair doesn't hurt, either.

IMAG0007.jpg

Here's mine, 30 seconds before heading to the track... Yeah, it gets some looks, but there's not a cop in the universe that could issue a "racing" ticket if you have a trailer bumping along behind... I suppose a head full of grey hair doesn't hurt, either.

IMAG0007.jpg

Who is that guy taking pictures of your trees?

Who is that guy taking pictures of your trees?

You have a very good eye! That is one of the rarest birds you'll ever see... a city worker talking on the cell phone during business hours.

Talk about thread drift

Thanks for all the input guys

Hi Trevor, we met at WCMC events

Edited by Guest

G0007.jpg

I also pull a trailer and State Trooper tax collectors still don't "get it".

Perhaps, I've been lucky, but I haven't been pulled over with this setup, 'ricer' look, wing and all. The trailer doesn't even have lights hooked up (you can see the car's brake lights since the trailer is so small). I usually try to keep it reasonable at about 7 or 8 mph over on the interstate.

cimg6919.jpg

I used to apply and remove all my numbers and promo stickers before and after each event. I did this for a couple years using magnets. I never lost any of my magnets. This year I decided to use adhesive vinyl. The numbers are on all the time, even when I drive it on the street, but it saves me about 30 minutes per event and I don't have to store the magnets someplace. Just one less step to get the car ready.

• 2 weeks later...
Numbers must be of a contrasting color to the car or otherwise clearly visible, at

least 10-inches tall with a 1.5-inch stroke for the sides, and four inches high for the rear.

Should this read "four inches high for the front and the rear"? Not sure if i have 10 inches of space on the front of my S2000.

Also, in regards to the original question - are numbers/class stickers okay for the windshield and rear window?