Rented transponders??

Mule

Zip ties are best for a rented unit. Some guys mount their transponders on the front bumper/grill but I keep mine inside the wheel well against the body for protection.

Nneeds to be no higher than 1 foot off the ground and have a clear view of the track - some materials like plastic it will go through but definitely no metal and a 100% clear view is best.

Be sure to ask them for the correct direction to orient the unit as well so the signal points straight down at the track and buired antenna under the S/F line for the system.

T&S can't help you if your transponder isn't mounted so it hits every time esp in TT since per the rules we can only be timed via transponders to ensure the appropriate amount of accuracy.

And the batteries are sometimes old. Be sure you're getting a good read. T&S can also tell when your transponder has low battery, and will tell you if you request it.

I've mounted the rental ones on the inside of the front wheel well (on a Mustang the "view" to the side of the track is 100% blocked by metal) and it worked fine.

Best idea is to find a spot for it where it;ll be protected and secure with as much line-of-sight as you can manage, run the first practice session and make sure everything is OK.

you point them straight down

you're lucky that hit consistently if you had it aimed sideways

This weekend, I saw one attached (with 4 screws) to the dashboard of a Factory Five Challenge car, pointing sideways at the passenger's side. The driver wasn't around for questioning, though.

I used one of our rental transponders a few years ago, and it was the direct-wire type with alligator clips. The clips did not come loose, and if they didn't come loose at Sebring, then they are pretty secure.

Mount it somewhere safe, as the security deposit is usually more than a new one costs (in order to cover the hassle of ordering another one).

Mark

So, after getting checked off for my first TT event last season, I had about 5 minutes to go rent a transponder, get it mounted, get my gear on, and get back to grid. Obviously there wasn't enough time to mount it properly, so I just tossed it in the cup holder and closed the lid over it... However, it worked great, so I feel like you can get away with some pretty shotty mounting if you have to and they still work fine...

majority of the rentals seem to ziptie em to fr/rr tow eye. I used to do that back when I rented. I've also seen em mounted inside the car zipped to the roll bar. Use fresh,stout ties.

So, after getting checked off for my first TT event last season, I had about 5 minutes to go rent a transponder, get it mounted, get my gear on, and get back to grid. Obviously there wasn't enough time to mount it properly, so I just tossed it in the cup holder and closed the lid over it... However, it worked great, so I feel like you can get away with some pretty shotty mounting if you have to and they still work fine...

While you may have been lucky, improper transponder mounting is an issue for someone at EVERY event.

While you may have been lucky, improper transponder mounting is an issue for someone at EVERY event.

Also some regions will black flag people for a transponder not hitting during timed sessions. Which means loss of track time if you don't mount it correctly and make sure it's powered correctly.