Miata seat floor bump removal question

Red_5

I'm looking at places to add my 100+ pounds of ballast, thanks all you Miata haters , and was wondering if it's legal to remove the stock seat mounting bumps. There are 2 bumps spot welded to the floor for mounting the rear of stock seat. The only benefit I see in removing the bumps is so I can easily add plates without special cuts to avoid the bumps which will save me money.

I only plan to remove the bumps on the passenger side but if anyone has a better idea, I'd like to hear it. I know a guy makes ballast already cut to avoid the bumps for SM but I'm sure the shipping won't be cheap although I might only need a couple from him until the ballast it higher than the bumps. Thanks.

eric

I don't believe that there is anything in the TT rules preventing this, especially if the stock passenger seat is removed from the car and will not be used. However, I would be wary of any such modification for a seat that is in place and is intended to be used. Review the HPDE tech section of the CCR to be sure, and consult your region's tech inspector if you have any doubts.

Mark

Thanks for the response. No passenger seat and I have no intention of installing one. The car is caged and the cage doesn't leave much room for a passenger seat. My 986 tray was there so I have to figure out that one too. I guess it can be mounted to the top ballast plate.

If any other Miata owners care to share how they added back the 50-100 pounds for this year, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,

Eric

No passenger seat and I have no intention of installing one. The car is caged and the cage doesn't leave much room for a passenger seat.

In that case, I don't see any issue with removing it.

Besides, there are probably a ton of "race" seats out there on "race" seat mounts that are less properly installed.

Mark

I'm classed by W/P, so I have no trouble meeting my new weight which is the same as last year. I just had to lower my power . As our esteemed TT director will attest, I was a full 4 pounds over my minimum competitive weight (2395lbs) on our last weight check .

The best place to add ballast is as you are doing, as low and as close as possible to the center of the car. The passenger floor area is a good spot.

Edited by Guest

If any other Miata owners care to share how they added back the 50-100 pounds for this year, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks,

Eric

Beer.

As our esteemed TT director will attest, I was a full 4 pounds over my minimum competitive weight (2395lbs) on our last weight check .

Four pounds over is correct! Hell, my personal weight can vary by 4 pounds over the course of a weekend.

Mark

We added 75 to mine + full tank of fuel while i run. Two 25lb lead blocks around the battery, and one behind the passenger seat. Its where the liked it on the scales.

• Members
I don't believe that there is anything in the TT rules preventing this, especially if the stock passenger seat is removed from the car and will not be used.

Mark

Except this snippet in the Intent part of the rules clairifys very well.

Intent:

If a performance modification is not specifically allowed by the rules, it is prohibited.

Is it a performance mod? Thats the answer.

Intent:

If a performance modification is not specifically allowed by the rules, it is prohibited.

And that's the reason I asked. I'm removing them to add weight so that's not a performance mod. If anything, removing them would slightly reduce body stiffness so that's not helping me either. I feel like I bug Greg enough with questions so I thought I'd ask here instead. There are bound to be other Miata guys who have done this. Thanks those of you who have responded.

Eric

I don't believe that there is anything in the TT rules preventing this, especially if the stock passenger seat is removed from the car and will not be used.

Mark

Intent:

That seems to make the rules a matter of opinion in some instances.

Intent:

OK, so the removal of unused interior brackets is not a performance modification. Simple!

Mark

Having been in motorsports for eleven years now, this conundrum (how you define a performance modification) comes up over and over again. Removing the bumps does not directly improve your performance, except through weight reduction that is accounted for. However, the counter argument is that it allows the placement of ballast in an optimal location, and that does enhance performance. The simple solution is to not remove the bumps and figure out a way to bolt down the weights with them present.

If I were your competitor, I would not protest you for removing the bumps to more easily add ballast. But, it seems that this is another one of those questions that needs to go to Greg for clarification.

• National Staff

The rules state:

B. WEIGHT REDUCTION:

Weight reduction points are based on the actual vehicle Minimum Competition Weight (with

driver). Removal and lightening of non-essential parts is permitted unless stated otherwise in

these rules. Modification of the OEM frame, sub-frame, and floor pan are not permitted (see

5.2.2) Removal or lightening of engine parts is permitted only as listed elsewhere in these rules:

So, the questions are:

1) Are the bumps non-essential parts?

2) Are the bumps part of the floor pan?

Since they are additional brackets that are welded onto the floor pan after it is constructed, only for the purpose of mounting non-essential rear seats, it would be my opinion that they are non-essential parts and that their removal would not be a modification of the floor pan. I would not protest a competitor for removing them, nor would I penalize a competitor if I found them removed during an inspection. However, someone can always come up with a better argument during a protest, and I would necessarily need to consider those arguments if I ever had to make a ruling on a protest for removal of these parts.