Regarding aero

LateApex2121

I am wondering if perhaps I am missing something regarding aero modifications per 8.1 rules.

Specifically, let's discuss the rear wing issue. As I understand it, Adding, Removing, or Modifying the rear wing would be 4 point mods each. So let's say you had a Mustang GT with the crap little "wing" they come with by default. Understand that the rear wing is the default, base configuration of the Mustang. If you were planning on ordering it from the factory with the wing absent, that's now not the base config, and thus would be a 4 point modification right out of the gate in that case - is that correct? Then, of course, should you add your own aero at that point, it's another 4 points.

The reason I ask is that there are many cars that do not come with any form of wing in their "base" form, true, but some, such as the Mustang, do. If the rules do function that way, does this not seem to double penalize people who would like real aero?

What would the drawback be to, say, have the rules state that simple removal of an OEM, factory provided wing is no penalty? Then, everyone could spend their 4 points on whatever wing they wanted if so inclined, and it's starting from a level playing field.

I may have interpreted this wrongly, and I am sure there are plenty of angles I haven't considered. But any clarification would be useful.

Once you take the points you dont have to take them again for doing something that counts as the same mod. For instance once you take 4 points for removing the OEM wing, you can put any other wing on you want for no additional points.

Specifically, let's discuss the rear wing issue. As I understand it, Adding, Removing, or Modifying the rear wing would be 4 point mods each. So let's say you had a Mustang GT with the crap little "wing" they come with by default. Understand that the rear wing is the default, base configuration of the Mustang. If you were planning on ordering it from the factory with the wing absent, that's now not the base config, and thus would be a 4 point modification right out of the gate in that case - is that correct? Then, of course, should you add your own aero at that point, it's another 4 points.
I have the exact car that you describe: A 2004 Mustang GT with that little vestige of a rear wing. I'd love to remove it (because it's ugly and likely performs very little function), but it is considered a modification and will incur +4 points. The "wing delete option" is also considered a modification of the base vehicle, which also costs +4 points. I think this has been discussed in previous threads.

What would the drawback be to, say, have the rules state that simple removal of an OEM, factory provided wing is no penalty? Then, everyone could spend their 4 points on whatever wing they wanted if so inclined, and it's starting from a level playing field.
This becomes an issue on Subaru WRX STis, Mitsubishi Evos, etc. that have monstrous OEM wings as part of their base configurations. The removal of these wings would likely allow an aero advantage by reducing drag on long straights. These cars could see a sizable benefit, while others would not. And, the rules simply cannot be written to allow exceptions and exemptions for certain cars, since it would quickly become as thick as an NYC phone book.

In the case of a Mustang with the OEM rear wing, whether you completely remove it, modify it, or bolt a Sopwith Camel to the trunk, it is the same +4 points no matter which option you choose. If you're going to go, then go big.

Mark

Ah, so that makes more sense. If I wanted to, then, ditch the stock wing and put a real adjustable race wing on, that's a total of 4 points assesed. Perfect, seems fair and sensible to me - thanks for your help!