Autoclub Speedway Race Report

everett

Robert wrote this great report of our weekend at Fontana (apologies for my delay in posting it):

So Cal Race report for Cal Speedway March5-6 Well let me just start by saying everyone in the stadium was talking about the 944 race group by the end of the weekend. Both days of racing could not have been better. Very close bumper to bumper, wheel to wheel racing two days straight. I personally had three different people ask me how to get racing in the 944 spec group. Saturday- During the first practice session Rafi blew a head gasket on a 4 year old motor so it was back to our shop R2 Racing in Santa Clarita(about 45 min away) for him to get it fixed. I stayed to race witout him but found out that the group has gotten much faster since we last raced in August of last year! I qualified dead last( and I thought I did pretty good?) The main race had 6 cars. Well Tyler did his usual "run rabbit run"routine leaving the field behind. Too bad for him he missed a great race for second place. On the start I was able to hole shot Tom. After working pretty hard to get by Everett , Jim and Eric were up ahead. Tyler was GONE! With Everett still right on my tail we worked up to Jim and Eric. The 4 car battle went on the whole race with cars trading places multiple times. Jim finally spun in the hairpin opening the door for Everett and I. Eric was next up. I worked hard and was finally able to pass him. Eric and I battled for most of the raceuntill we went through the last complex and he spun the car. The white flag came out no Eric behind me? The finish on Saturday was Tyler, Robert, Everett. Awsome battle for second the whloe race! Sunday's race- Well Rafi was back with a fresh head gasket and a hunger in his eye. Qualifing times were very close. Robert, Rafi and Jim were all within one tenth of a second apart. Tom and Everett were off by about a half second more. Tyler and Eric took the first two spots. When the green flag dropped Tyler was once again gone! He is so smooth and fast. I jumped into first only to loose second to Eric a few laps later. Jim worked passed me with a very nice inside move. I tried and chased him but couldn't get by him. Rafi did a nice late brake move on me and took over 4th. Jim showed the R2 Racing boys his experience by holding us off for the rest of the race. We tried everything we could but could not get by him. Nice defensive driving Jim! Everett was right there about a car length back the whole time pressuring from behind. Again a great 4 car battle for the whole race! This is what it's all about. The 4 cars dice through the slower Miatas together not breaking stride at all. Two cars left, two cars right, Miatas in the middle. All 4 944's came out of the turn still together . Awsome stuff! Final on Sunday - Tyler, Eric, Jim, Rafi, Robert, Everett, Tom. Thanks guys for a great weekend.

Wow! What a great PR idea taking the class picture like that! Who coordinated that effort to help build the class? Must be a real committed enthusiast for the class. Probably pretty good looking too.....

Let's keep building it.