First NASA Event Mid Atlantic Region

Totes McGoats

My first NASA HPDE Event is coming up in a few weeks at Summit Point. I've been doing track events since 2002 with Chin Motorsports, SCCA, Ferrari of Washington and on a few occasions just me and a few friends pitched in and rented a track. How long are the run session normally and how many should I expect a day?

Usually 3x25min sessions/day for HPDE, and one or two classroom sessions. Next weekend's schedule will be posted soon.

ps- you'll get more replies on region-specific questions in each region's subforum, in this case viewforum.php?f=23

See http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf for the answer to that question

I searched that last night and got two different answers. I emailed Laura Cobetto COO of the Mid Atlantic, but haven't gotten an answer back yet.

Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

All drivers are required to wear an approved a properly fitted and secured helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell 2000 ( SA2000) or better newer*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application), i.e. “M1995, M2000”, are not acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of 8860-2004 or newer, or an SFI label showing the rating of 31.1A, 31.2A, or 31.1/2005 or newer are acceptable. It is strongly recommended that any helmet sustaining any substantial impact be replaced.

I searched that last night and got two different answers. I emailed Laura Cobetto COO of the Mid Atlantic, but haven't gotten an answer back yet.

Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

All drivers are required to wear an approved a properly fitted and secured helmet while on track. Helmets must be approved by Snell and carry a sticker of Snell 2000 ( SA2000) or better newer*. Ratings other than that of “SA” (Special Application), i.e. “M1995, M2000”, are not acceptable. *Alternatively, helmets with an FIA certification of 8860-2004 or newer, or an SFI label showing the rating of 31.1A, 31.2A, or 31.1/2005 or newer are acceptable. It is strongly recommended that any helmet sustaining any substantial impact be replaced.

Is that from the CCR? The last I heard from National, they are allowing 2000 or better helmets, both "M" and "SA". The reason I told you to check with your local region is that we in the NorthEast region are asking that our members have a 2005 or better. I believe National is asking for 2005 or better next year.

Is that from the CCR? The last I heard from National, they are allowing 2000 or better helmets, both "M" and "SA". The reason I told you to check with your local region is that we in the NorthEast region are asking that our members have a 2005 or better. I believe National is asking for 2005 or better next year.

It's from the CCR. Hopefully I'll get an answer back today from Laura.

One of those rules in the CCR is for HPDE, the other is for roadracing.

The applicable HPDE rule on page 42 of the CCR:

1. Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or

equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

However, I would not recommend using a helmet from 1990. Also, as previously stated the different regions can have tougher standards.

Good point. I believe the rule in Mid-A is actually M95/SA95 or better for HPDE in 2011, but Laura will tell the OP for sure. And his M2000 should be ok if it's in good condition. Although I personally recommend SA2005/SA2010 full face for everything...

Good point. I believe the rule in Mid-A is actually M95/SA95 or better for HPDE in 2011, but Laura will tell the OP for sure. And his M2000 should be ok if it's in good condition. Although I personally recommend SA2005/SA2010 full face for everything...

I agree. Also, we are starting to see tracks in the NorthEast that will not allow open face helmets, so we are pushing all our members to get a closed one.

What is your head worth to you? I highly recommend a full-face SA helmet. You drive with your windows down and I've had numerous bits of debris hit my face shield on track

What is your head worth to you? I highly recommend a full-face SA helmet. You drive with your windows down and I've had numerous bits of debris hit my face shield on track

I have a full face Bell M4 and I have typically run with the visor up, but after getting hit in the face with something at RA last month I will be putting it down again.