Street car in TT

steveff4

I've been doing track events (HPDE) for 11 years now, and I'm kicking around the idea of getting involved in TT. I have noticed that most of the TT cars are practically dedicated racers with rollcages, etc. I'd only be running my nearly stock car. I wouldn't even be concerned with being competitive per se, only with having timed laps for my own amusement.

Should I just stick with HPDE since I don't have a caged car?

Can I use some sort of head and neck restraint system with stock 3-point belts?

the only ones that I know of that are advertised to work with 3pt belts are the stuff from Safety Solutions (R3, Hybrid, etc)

Plenty of people run street based stuff in TT, but you're more likely to see those in TTA and below though. I think the rules do a pretty decent job of balacing all "styles" of car to be competitive with each other - it comes down to picking the right car, the right mods for that car, and driving the snot out of it without putting 4 off or spinning

Edited by Guest

dunno about yer region...but from what i've seen, a significant portion of midwest's TT cars are street cars driven to the track. most w/o a cage and alot with some kind of interiors still

Most of our cars, especially TTA-TTF, are driven to the track. We even have a TTU Corvette with a trailer hitch that is driven to the track, while a TTA Evo is a daily driver. While many of them have removed non-essential items from the interiors, very few have roll bars or roll cages (something that I'm encouraging everybody to install, though). With the speeds that our slower-class cars are going, it is wise to install some sort of additional protection in the car, no matter if you are in TT or HPDE; track barriers don't care if you have a transponder in the car or not.

Mark

Maybe I've just been seeing the prepped cars participating in TT. I'm just running street tires, too, so I won't be a concern to the serious competitors.

You could just buy a Traqmate and run in HPDE4. This way you get the times AND don't get run over by those competing in prepped TT monsters. Of course some may want you in the class to bolster the ranks for tire contingencies!

Maybe I've just been seeing the prepped cars participating in TT. I'm just running street tires, too, so I won't be a concern to the serious competitors.

dunno, the points on race tires are getting pretty high, a properly built street tire car could be interesting

One problem with streets is you need a nice wide tire and rims to match.

I'd give a 275 NT05 or something a go but I don't want to fork out for 10" wheels when I can throw a 255 R888's on crappy stock wheels and go

I don't imagine there would be too much difference

One problem with streets is you need a nice wide tire and rims to match.

I'd give a 275 NT05 or something a go but I don't want to fork out for 10" wheels when I can throw a 255 R888's on crappy stock wheels and go

I don't imagine there would be too much difference

Nitto NT555RIIs are a very nice choice. UTQG of 100. Per NASA TT rules "DOT-approved R-comound with a UTQG of 50 to 130 +7 points"

dunno, the points on race tires are getting pretty high, a properly built street tire car could be interesting

I have a fairly prepped car and did a 2:12.9 on old dunlop star specs breaking the old TTC record, then for the last session that day I switched to brand new hoosier R6s, not even A6s and brought it down to a 2:11.111.

Street tires are fast, but my first time on hoosiers and with sticker tires time dropped considerably. I dont know another 8 points in mods that would pick up that much time with much more room to grow (I am having trouble getting use to the hoosiers). Maybe on a really light car, but my car at 3176 is much faster on hoosiers.

I have a fairly prepped car and did a 2:12.9 on old dunlop star specs breaking the old TTC record, then for the last session that day I switched to brand new hoosier R6s, not even A6s and brought it down to a 2:11.111.

Street tires are fast, but my first time on hoosiers and with sticker tires time dropped considerably. I dont know another 8 points in mods that would pick up that much time with much more room to grow (I am having trouble getting use to the hoosiers). Maybe on a really light car, but my car at 3176 is much faster on hoosiers.

If you had points leftover to have room for the Hoosiers in your setup then obviously you didn't have a "properly built" street tire car (ie points left on the table with the star specs on the car). No offense - but anyone who is leaving points on the table can't consider their car "maxed out" in the least...

If you had points leftover to have room for the Hoosiers in your setup then obviously you didn't have a "properly built" street tire car (ie points left on the table with the star specs on the car). No offense - but anyone who is leaving points on the table can't consider their car "maxed out" in the least...

A 100% bone stock C5Z06 with 275 A6s all around would trounce my fully TTA prepped car on [insert tire other than an A6/R6 here].

It's the tires... the other mods just help you make them work even better.

those TTA 'vettes really only have one option to spend their points - tires. How else could you spend it? More power puts you over the adjusted hp/weight limits, and there aren't really any major gains to make suspension - aero possibly but even then.

A car that has more room to work with (both points and hp/weight) has more choices. If these autocrossers can take a street tire shod car and outrun race tire shod cars then there's something to be learned there I think, esp since that's a very turning / handling based competition. You give up a bit of tire grip to make it up with suspension and to have more points for power for the straights...

If you read the whole thing, I made the specific mention of....8 points in mods (difference between hoosier and a street tire), I dont think would make up the difference in times. It would be close but not enough.

Difference of 1.8 seconds (and there was more room in there left) vs. 8 points in mods. Looking over the spreadsheet, the mods of weight/wider tire/power/suspension/aero the 8 points would not find those 2 seconds (or more).

8 points is kind of alot, I'd kill to have 8 more points to spend

and noted on the car weight - alot of the quick ST_ cars are fairly low weight (sub 2500 for most), though some of the AWD ones that win are in the same range as you

Edited by Guest

those TTA 'vettes really only have one option to spend their points - tires. How else could you spend it?

oh let me count the ways

those TTA 'vettes really only have one option to spend their points - tires. How else could you spend it?

oh let me count the ways

Yes... run tiny tires = NASCAR WOO!!! spoiler and an air intake I still have one point to spend, but don't want to gut the cats since that'd be tought to change at the track. As it stands now I can remove the intake and spoiler and run 275s if I had to for some reason.

Most of us started out with street legal cars in TT. Then the crazy started.

Mine's still street legal.... it has a valid license plate and insurance . I even take it to car shows Last Cars & Coffee event I overheard some kids wondering where I parked the car trailer since they didn't think I could drive it on the street with those tires. Funny to hear some 10-12 year olds debate the issue.

180364_1707682383130_1570178111_1556036_173951_n.jpg