Miata RE-11 vs Star Spec

hank24

I have been tracking a NA Miata lately. I have 205-50-15 Dunlop Star Specs all around and have loved them so far. I flat spotted my tires lasttime I was at CMP (rookie mistake + no abs). I have been looking into getting Star Specs again or going with the RE-11s since tirerack now has a $100 giftcard.

Can anyone share their experience on what tire holds up better to regular HPDEs? Does one tire last better in the heat? Last longer? Better tire to learn on?

I am not so concerned with overall grip as I am learning and not going for time. Also the Miata is driven just to and from the track so I am not concerned with daily driving comfort.

Thanks for your help.

I run the Dunlops on my S2000 on the street, but have not yet put them on the track. So, I cannot help you out, but at least I can congratulate you on making the same wise decisions on cars as I did .

I've put 17 actual track days on my RE-11's, in all conditions... cold, rain, cold/rain, hot, southern hot and I swear by them. Not sure the actual mileage (but it's a lot) but they are starting to get a little low but also getting better too

I've heard great things about starspec's and the prices on them are also wonderful but I personally can't compare the two, they're both relatively new so it might be hard to find one person that has a significant amount of time with each.

I sold the S2000 today.

So sorry. All I can say is that driving the Miata puts an equally large grin on my face, and it's far easier to modify, fix and find replacement parts for than the Honda.

I have been tracking a NA Miata lately. I have 205-50-15 Dunlop Star Specs all around and have loved them so far. I flat spotted my tires lasttime I was at CMP (rookie mistake + no abs). I have been looking into getting Star Specs again or going with the RE-11s since tirerack now has a $100 giftcard.

Can anyone share their experience on what tire holds up better to regular HPDEs? Does one tire last better in the heat? Last longer? Better tire to learn on?

I am not so concerned with overall grip as I am learning and not going for time. Also the Miata is driven just to and from the track so I am not concerned with daily driving comfort.

Thanks for your help.

Well, I run the Star Specs. I know people that run the RE-11s. They both hold up quite well to DEs and on the street.

Honestly, if your $100 rebate gets the price of the RE-11s down to the price of the Star Specs, then flip a coin. If not, just look at the reviews of the Star Specs vs the RE-11s. For -.1 here and there, I'll gladly pay less for the Star Specs.

I have RE-11s on mine and will gladly take them over the SS any day.

Also, you might consider the Kuhmo XS. From what I understand, they tolerate heat better, but suffer on rain performance.

I sold the S2000 today.

So sorry. All I can say is that driving the Miata puts an equally large grin on my face, and it's far easier to modify, fix and find replacement parts for than the Honda.

I loved the S2000 but I couldnt afford to track it. I love the Miata though. Nothing like hunting down Corvettes or Porsches.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I am going to go with Star Specs because I have had them before and been very happy. I just wanted to make sure that there wasnt a huge difference between the two.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

Check this out. Tire Rack does very extensive testing, and I know these types of tests are subjective and the results vary from car to car, tire width to tire width, yadda, yadda, yadda. However, when all is said and done, by looking at the numbers and different price points, there isn't much difference between the "flagship" RE-11 and its competition other than price.

Like I stated earlier, I run the Star Specs and simply LOVE them. However, I may try the Hankook next time around just to see if the least expensive tire can hold up to what the Star Specs have done for me.

I can't compare them to the RE-11's, but I ran Star Specs this weekend at Mid-Ohio. We had every weather condition from cold and rainy to hot and sunny. My tires performed unbelievably well all three days and had me grinning ear to ear on several occaisions.