Transponder Mounting on a Miata

imarcr2

Hello all,

I am able to borrow a wireless transponder for my first TT next weekend. I have a 91 Miata and was wondering where would be a good place to mount it without drilling into the body yet maintaining good timing.

Bill

for TT - just get it within 1 foot of the track surface, pointed down, with a clear line of sight to the pavement and you're fine. It's really that simple!

I see quite a few on tow hooks and other similar locations on all different kinds of cars

Drill four holes in vertical portion of the plastic undertray just inside the front wheel well. Position the holes so a single cable tie can wrap around the transponder mounting bracket and go through two of the holes to secure the mounting bracket in place. Use 2 cable ties. Attach transponder to mounting bracket. That's how I mounted my friend's rechargeable transponder when he borrowed by Miata and then proceeded to break the TTE track record at Homestead Miami Speedway.

^^^That's how mine is mounted, but since its not permanent, just zip tie it to the OE tow loops on the front.

Tip: when you buy, buy a hardwired one.

179385_925873589980_23911356_46663574_5021357_n.jpg

Hard-mounting/direct wire is the way to go. It's one less thing to remember to attach, one less thing to charge the night before after it's too late, and most importantly, one less thing for people to ask to borrow.

If you ziptie it to the plastic support pieces in front of the radiator you will be fine. I did this for many events before I bought mine and hard wired it like the above picture.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to jump in on this too, but for a Subaru STi. I just bought a hardwire transponder and I want to make sure I mount it correctly and I didn't see the sense in starting a new thread, plus I think some of the info below is applicable to the OP as well.

Basic rules: upright, nothing metallic in front of or below, within 24" of track surface.

Does the unit need to be visible? (I gather from some pics I have seen that the answer is NO.)

Does the unit need to face FORWARD? ("^^^")

As for wiring, if I wire directly to my battery, what would be an appropriate fuse? 10A?

Has anyone had any issues if they put quick-connects on a hardwire unit to allow removal?

Visible to the naked eye as the car goes by normally? No. Visible if you're at track level looking up would be a good idea though

The signal goes out in a cone shape, so there really isn't a "forward" - just a "down".

In talking to a few people, I have been told that it is OK if there is plastic below the transponder. I have it temp mounted inside the fener liner, behind the bumper. There is no metal anywhere around it but the plastic fender-liner piece is between the bottom of the transponder and the ground. Issue?

Plastic is not a big deal - metal and CF is what really messes with the signal. Clear shot is still best, but I highly doubt it'll be an issue

Plastic is not a big deal - metal and CF is what really messes with the signal. Clear shot is still best, but I highly doubt it'll be an issue

Excellent. Thanks a bunch!