Removing molten rubber from paint?

Josh Ashcroft

I've got a few black streeks on my hood from stray marbles. I tried elbow grease, but some of the spots are less cooperative than others? Anybody got any good tricks (or products) for getting this stuff off?

Thanks

In the cleaner/wax section of most auto stores you can find Goof-Off or Goo-Gone. It's for removing sap, bugs and tar from cars. Works fine.

Although the chemical products do work, they remove the wax finish off your car. I always try detailing clay first (fine grade), and that usually works well for marbles since the racing rubber is softer than street rubber. And the clay won't remove your finish.

By the way, the primary petroleum ingredient in those chemical cleaners is just kerosene. If you have that at home, it will work well. Then refinish your paint after.

• 1 year later...

I know This Is Just A Little Late, lol. But It's Still Usefull Info

Summit or Jegs Sells Stuff you Spray on Before You Go To the Track Then Just Wipe Everything off. It's for Drag Cars When They do There Burnouts, but it will work for anything

After repeated testing, Goof Off works better than Goo Gone, from what I've found, but yes, it will kill the paint luster. Just do a wax job after if you'd like.

I used good ole WD-40 and it took the marks off my car... then I sprayed the area right afterwards with a "Quik Detailer" type wax... looks great

"Rejex", the NASA Mid Atlantic sponcer, seems to have a good product. Don't have a website or contact info though, maybe someone can chime in?

For the really stubbon stuff I use a good rubbing compound. Only do this about once a year right before rewaxing.

so you put that stuff on BEFORE the rubber sticks? It is suppose to make it easier to wipe off?

What, you haven't been listening during the NASA-MA morning meetings?

Available at Jeff's trailer.

Yes, you apply it beforehand so dirt/rubber/bugs won't stick.

so you put that stuff on BEFORE the rubber sticks? It is suppose to make it easier to wipe off?

What, you haven't been listening during the NASA-MA morning meetings?

Available at Jeff's trailer.

Yes, you apply it beforehand so dirt/rubber/bugs won't stick.

The what meetings?

I guess I'll have to stop by and take a look at that stuff this year, rubbing this crap off is starting to get old.

I use regular 'ole carnuba car wax, takes it right off and lays down a new coat of wax at the same time. I think I'm using Mother's right now. Someone told me about this, and I said no way in hell that'll work.....but I'll be damned if it don't!

Daniel

Use any of the cleaner/waxes you find at the auto parts store. I use Mequires cleaner/wax. Cleans them black marks off and waxes as you go.

I've found that just keeping a good wax finish on the car makes the rubber easy to remove.

That's a bit of a pain for a race car, but my old HPDE car was a good street car and I always kept it well waxed. The rubber could just be rubbed off with a finger or towel.