New to HPDE...

skiracer55

...I will probably do my first in May. My car (2004 Nissan 350z) is busy getting ramped up at SCR Performance in Loveland, I'm reading up on driving techniques, and so forth. Now, for gear. I'm going to go make the investment, need some recommendations, where I've been looking at stuff on saferacer.com:

-Helmet? I'm going with SA2010, HJC looks like a good bet, I'm thinking about an AR10 II...wuddia think? Do you use a sheild or sunglasses.

- Shoes? I have no clue, give me some recommendations.

- Gloves, ditto.

- Suit? I figure being somewhat fireproof is a good idea, even for HPDE. Can I get away with something like a G-Force GF125?

- Anything else I should know about?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Would that be Loveland, OH?

Check out the Resources Tab in the main page of your Region's web site. For Great Lakes Region, there's an Articles section that has good info on Preparing for HPDE. The Safety Equipment paragraph will answer many of your questions.

Fire suit isn't required nor are gloves or racing shoes, but they're not prohibited. You'll also find that short sleeve shirts are ok and a godsend during the summer months. Most HPDE drivers have a helmet shield, but keep them up and wear sunglasses if needed.

As for vendors, once I found what I was interested in, I used Yahoo search for that item to look for cheapest prices. Most of the cheapest prices come from racing vendors that compete against each other.

Hope this helps.

Firesuit? in HPDE? in a street car? without a cool shirt (or equiv)??

You can wear one if you want to, look at the CCR to see what the racers use if that is your intent later on. Be careful of expiration dates.

First HPDE - if you have a clutch I'd get nice racing shoes that fit. Reminds me I need to call Discovery parts today and see what they have in stock. My old ones are kaput. For gloves, I'd reccomend it. Anything that gives you good grip on the steering wheel.

Helmet - full face, fits tight, largest eye port, check for the fitting of your sunglasses, SA2010 is best snell rating.

I like my AR10 2, but like Krystar said, everyone's head is different.

I'd definitely get a driving shoe, but a racing shoe isn't always the most comfortable in the asphalt paddock or wet/muddy grassy extended paddock. I have a brown pair of Piloti Sebring. They don't look goofy colored and are good quality leather. Retail is $150, but are often sold under the "Luso" model name for $60. Same shoe.

I personally don't like driving gloves, but would get a set and a suit if I went TT or wheel to wheel. Not required in TT, but it is in W2W.

One safety precaution I do take is the use of a head and neck restraint system. The Rage R3 (?) can be used in a stock seat. I have a DefNder as I have seats/harnesses/harnessbar and rollbar. From what I've read or been present for, head and neck injuries far outweigh fires in factory prepped HPDE cars when one is wreaked. In the GL region, we're starting to see more and more HPDE drivers wearing H & N systems. They're were 4-5 of us in HPDE3/4 the last event at Mid-Ohio. I think that's a good sign. $1200 in tires, $2000 suspension, $5000 motor and a $100 motorcycle helmet.

I've seen too many students take their hands off the wheel to wipe thier sweaty palms so they can maintain a good grip on the wheel.

Driving gloves or racing gloves is a good idea. Even mechanics gloves work.