HDPE 1 Numbers and Instructor Assignment

wdavies414

All,

I have registered for the Putnam Park event 14/15 May.

1) Are numbers required for the HDPE groups? I have some numbers (magnetic)that I use for Autocross events but I am not sure if they are needed or will stay on the car at speed.

2) When will I be assigned an instructor for the event? I may have a few more questions and thought that it might be a good idea to ask them of my assigned instructor (the cool guy/gal that is going to brave the track in the car with me).

thanks all.

Walt

Yes, Numbers are required on track. If you have a steel car the magnetic ones should be fine. If you are really concerned get some painters tape and use it to tape down the leading edge of the number.

I don't know which region you are in, but here is my experience.

Because of shuffling and pairings that don't work (really tall guy trying to instruct in a miata as an example) you most likely will not meet your instructor until after the instructor meeting or on grid for your first session - be there early!

I've about given up trying to find a student's car between the end of all the meetings and their first class session. Ever try to find one car in 3 acres of cars???

+1 on the numbers. In the Great Lakes region (you're either in that or the Midwest) they just started registering one number to each participant regardless of class or race group. You will or have been given an email confirming your car number.

I'll just give you a run down of the morning to answer your questions and maybe a couple others you may have. (This may be different per region and may change from event to event, so check the printed event schedule)

The chain of events in the GL region typical follows this time line at PUTNAM PARK:

HPDE Tech is first thing in the morning. You'll grid up in the pit lane in-line with the other HPDE cars needing a tech inspection. Show up on time or early. Have your completed tech form and helmet with the car and available for an inspector to view and complete. Once someone has looked over your car and helmet they will sign off on the tech form. You will then bring the signed off form to the grid marshal (Paul), or whoever looks to be handing out the windshield stickers. These windshield stickers assign the run group, event, event date, your name, etc. You can't get on the track without a windshield sticker, and you can't get a window sticker without the grid marshal receiving your signed-off tech inspection form.

Once you have your windshield sticker, put it on your windshield in the driver's side upper corner. You're done with tech.

Continue out of the pit and go park your car.

Your printed event schedule will then tell you when the MANDATORY drivers' meeting will be held. Go there; be on time. Where they hold it varies, so if you don't think you're in the right place, ask someone. Everyone will meet in one large group and general information will be given.

They will then announce where the HPDE1/2 students (you) will meet, and HPDE3/4 and Time Trials groups will meet. Follow the HPDE1/2 crowd. HERE is where they will take attendance and pair you with your instructor. You will then go off to discuss any concerns for a few minutes. Don't go too far away as you will be right back with your group to attend your mandatory orientation class. Make sure you know what your instructor is driving and that they know what you're driving (make/model/color/ car number, etc) Set a time and place to meet back up after either your morning orientation class or their first session.

Once your meet and greet with your instructor is over, you'll be back with the other HPDE1/2 students for the orientation class.

Hopefully that helps.

All,

Thank you for the helpful info. I will look for the confirmation email that was mentioned...I do recall getting something like that. I will check for the car number assignment.

Cheers,

Walt