Newbie Trying to Class My Car

rootdown_53

I have new to Time Trials and want to be sure I calculate my points correctly. I have a '99 Miata Special Edition (10AE). Base class is TTE, and I've added up my points from most of the factory options, but i have questions.

1. my car has power steering, does that get points? if so, how many?

2. i have an aftermarket radiator, does that get points? if so, how many? (i think it might be +4, but i'm not sure)

Thanks.

The 10AE Miata (10th Anniversary Edition, for the non Miata-philes) is a nice car, and as you mention, be sure that you take points for all of the factory options that are on your car that do not appear on the base model for 1999. Just off the top of my head these include 6-speed transmission (modified number of forward gears +3), Torsen LSD (added limited slip differential +3), Bilstein Shocks (non-OEM dampers +2), and front lip (modified front fascia/air dam +3). There may be other items.

Have fun - it's a great little car for the track.

The 10AE Miata (10th Anniversary Edition, for the non Miata-philes) is a nice car, and as you mention, be sure that you take points for all of the factory options that are on your car that do not appear on the base model for 1999. Just off the top of my head these include 6-speed transmission (modified number of forward gears +3), Torsen LSD (added limited slip differential +3), Bilstein Shocks (non-OEM dampers +2), and front lip (modified front fascia/air dam +3). There may be other items.

Have fun - it's a great little car for the track.

Power steering is an option on all non-base miatas (as far as I can tell). How many points does it incur?

Free Mod H-12: Steering rack replacement or modification (without geometry change unless taking points for

E.18). Rack ratio change is permitted. Change from OEM power steering to manual, and/or

modification of the power steering pump requires the point assessment for engine pulley

in C.10).

So lets look at what that free mod also refrences:

E18 - Bump steer kits or shimming of the steering rack +2

C10 - Replacement pulleys (other than for supercharger) or non-electrical fan removal +1

So you can convert between the two points free if you don't change the bump steer or other geometry and if you don't have to mess with any of the pulleys

That to me says 99.9% of power steering systems that aren't base model are likely at least 1pt for pulleys unless you're a hp/weight reclassed car. Ditto for taking power steering off a car when the base model has it.

Last week, Greg G. confirmed for me in an email conversation that the addition of power steering to a base model car that did not come with power steering is 0 points (although my pre-confirmation interpretation was the same as Ken's...+1 for modified pulleys, but that's not the case).

Mark

Ahh - that might be a nice clarification to see in a tech bulletin or a re-wording of the free mod

Does make sense thinking about it though - you're adding something that causes the car to make less power so that being +0 is fine, if the geometry doesn't change that's also fine at +0, and if we're allowing the rack ratio to change for +0 then...

Ahh - that might be a nice clarification to see in a tech bulletin or a re-wording of the free mod

Does make sense thinking about it though - you're adding something that causes the car to make less power so that being +0 is fine, if the geometry doesn't change that's also fine at +0, and if we're allowing the rack ratio to change for +0 then...

Ok, just to be clear. My car is reclassed by hp/wt, and thus I can remove the pump/pully w/o taking the point. Someone not reclassed that removes ps/pully takes the point even though it was taking them back to base. Got it. Thanks.

almost, not quite - it sounds like after the clarification from Greg that ADDING power steering is free, removing it COULD be points, but in the Miata's case we're talking about the base does not have PS so removing PS is also free

(this is all of course assuming no geometry changes)

Cars that receive a base re-class from Greg G. based on their WHP and MCW skip sections B and C in the TTA-TTF classification forms.

Mark

Ok, just to be clear. My car is reclassed by hp/wt, and thus I can remove the pump/pully w/o taking the point. Someone not reclassed that removes ps/pully takes the point even though it was taking them back to base. Got it. Thanks.

If a base class vehicle, which did not come with power steering, has optional power steering for +0 points, then I don't see how removing that +0 optional power steering would cost +1 point for E10, as you are just returning it back to its base class condition.

When in doubt, slap it on a proper dyno, weigh it, and submit the information to Greg G. for a base re-class.

Mark