Weight reduction for 89 chassis?

no. 16 944

Currently my car weighs in at 2575lbs without the 200lb driver.

Doors have been gutted, interior removed, custom cage installed, bumperettes removed.

Priced having a mechanic remove all wiring under dash and rewiring ignition et cet. and ($$$$)this will be a last resort. What other things can I do to get more weight out of the car?

Thanks.

-Shannon

Shannon,

Look on the 944Spec.org site - there are several car builds there that have a lot of good info. Your car sounds really heavy if that weight is verified. My last two late chassis cars came in at just over 2300lbs dry. My current car has 90lbs of lead in it to make weight with my 180lbs in it. Off the top of my head, here are a few suggestions to gut that pig .

1. Smaller battery

2. Light exhaust - current car has a straight pipe with turn down that exists at the torque tube. Loud, but cheap, and light. A glasspack or bullet muffler could be added here.

3. Remove headlight mechanism

4. Remove a power steering apparatus, A-C compressor, and plumbing.

5. Remove late dash, or modify if for less weight like in Ken's (Racer-x) thread on Spec.org.

6. Aluminum panel in place of sunroof

7. Remove charcoal canister in LF fender.

8. Lexan windshield ($35 for take NASCAR take off from http://www.racing metal.com) - cut to fit. Only saves a little, but is cheap.

9. Update fans with modern, more efficient single fan.

10. Remove extra backets, heat shielding, etc.

11. Remove Bondo if there's a lot in the car.

While removing wiring and fuse box will take out significant weight it can be expensive as it is labor intensive. Cookie cutter wheels, door seals not the hatch as exhaust may get into cabin. Door bars, any flange or bracket not use, heater and all the tubes and vents. If anything is unused on the car remove it.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the responses. I have done everything suggested except the aluminum panel in place of the sunroof and the door bars and heat shields. We'll see how the August event goes.

Follow up questions. Cookie cutter wheels were not made for late offset. Has anyone ran a cookie cutter on a late offset car? Does it exceed the track width rules?

There is a bunch of undercoating that can be removed, including inside the wheel wells and under the gas tank 40 lbs worth. Remove the spare tire well and cover the opening with al 10/15 lbs. worth. Removing all the extra wiring and fuse box 30/40 lbs. Remove dash and put in proper gauges as part of the rewire ?I don't really know but proper gauges save engines. Remove fans and leave them out, just be careful in the pits/paddock.

Big Dog