Have fun racing at Nats.

nape

Wow. It keeps getting better. What's the cost difference

$4000 for me, I've got all my Toyos stockpiled.

Look up one of the locked threads. I think they were $150/set cheaper in 18s and $250/set more for 17s.

If I am thinking this right, doesn't that make the abs thing work better. I am just wondering and not whining. I am trying to come up with a solution for my platform and I think it just got a lot harder.

If I am thinking this right, doesn't that make the abs thing work better. I am just wondering and not whining. I am trying to come up with a solution for my platform and I think it just got a lot harder.

I have never had a problem with the FRPP ABS in low traction conditions (Rain, cold, Toyo tires, etc). The concept that it doesn't work with Toyos makes no sense to me. If it doesn't work well with Toyos then wouldn't you also have problems with it in the rain?

I have raced with it in the rain and it worked fantastic.

Wow I cant see how this will make anyone happy save for those with deeper pockets. We realize that the tire issue is an issue for all, but making this a required spec tire for nationals is going to preclude alot of folks who have made arrangements to stockpile tires (RA1s) for this event. The bar just keeps getting higher only difference now is that it is across the board. This is definately not the most prudent way in which to keep costs down, this will add many dollars to future race season budgets if this is implemented permanently. I think we are going to see a contraction of the class in the future based on this decision.

Dont get me wrong I love the Hoosier eventhough I have not used them in years, and the fact that they are made in the good old US of A is even better. But it is a hard pill to swallow when they go off after a weekend or so.

and a final WTF 18s are cheaper $ than comporable Toyos but 17 are more $.................sweet

TJ,

Don't give up so fast. Start working a sponsorship deal. Maybe pass the hat to all the GM drivers that want to see that P.O.S. Firebird spank all those pretty new Mustangs. We know you can do it and I'll help pay to see it happen.

Sidney Franklin

CMC2 #64

and a final WTF 18s are cheaper $ than comporable Toyos but 17 are more $.................sweet

being fair, that is a reflection of the unusual increase in price from 17 to 18" at Toyo. Hoosier is more expensive incrementally as the sizes increase than the toyo up to the 18. There the Toyo price jumps $125 to $150 or so and jumps clean over the Hoosier.

All,

This is JUST the solution for Nat's... We are still working on the "go forward" plan for 2012 & ON... Please stay tuned.

$4000 for me.

damn, how many sets were you planning on using?

Two sets of dries and a set of wets.

4 sessions on the practice day, practice, qual, race Thursday, practice qual, race, Friday, warmup, Champ Race Sunday.

I count 12 sessions. I'm sure someone will have more then two sets of dries.

This is disappointing news for those of us that have all the Toyo's we needed to run the season, and for Nationals.....is it possible to reconsider this and allow us to run the Toyo's if we have them and/or want to?

I did fine with one set of scrubs for practice and one sticker set at 2009 Nats, and I bet my car is harder on tires than a well setup AI car would be... ah well

This is just one man's opinion: I will be running AI for the remainder of the season and Nats and while I understand the need for a spec tire.....Hoosier- I would think in the interest of car count AND customer service, I really do not see the downside to allowing the OTHER/FORMER spec tire to be used at the championships- it is a harder compound ie a little slower and lasts longer ( but who knows anything can happen at the nats) we seem to have a few if not more guys who have enough of them to be a part of the nats? if they will really show or not is another question, but they should have the option to be a part of the championships- and I don't think this means if you let in Toyo you have to let all other tires in Toyo was the spec tire, Hoosier is the spec tire- those are the 2. Does it add 2 cars 5 cars? who knows, but the more cars the better as far as I'm concerned.

Aaron

Wow, this is a tough pill.

I was planning to run the two good set of toyos starting later this summer and hopefully win enough to get one new set for Nationals.

Holly sh$t, I just looked up Hoosier pricing. $294 for 275 40 17. Is that correct? Plus they don't last nearly as long Ra1's? Ouch

I can only assume that Hoosier wrote a check to NASA to be the spec tire for Nationals. I mean if they didn't why in the world would NASA make nationals a spec tire and piss off guys with toyos that want to come run and are willing to pay a entry fee to nationals that means more money for NASA .

I couldn't imagine hoosier being ok with another tire racing in with them.

If I had to guess I'm thinking nationals is going to be pretty big for American Iron this year.

I know of three or four guys that where not even going to run it if it was on toyos because they needed 18"tires. I'm guessing they will be running ai now probably along with ST

Hoosier has no problems offering contingency in open tire classes, so I don't really think they're scared or whatnot. Why should they be concerned when they have THE fastest tire?

Hoosier has no problems offering contingency in open tire classes, so I don't really think they're scared or whatnot. Why should they be concerned when they have THE fastest tire?

you said it "open tire class" Which we are not for nationals.

I could be way off and I doubt this but maybe someone will step in and tell us all the reasons and what nots of why hoosier tire is a spec tire for american iron and why it was not left as a open tire like many other classes that hoosier runs in.

my guess is that hoosier wrote a check to nasa to be that spec tire.

If you wrote a check to be a offical tire for a series would you want other tires racing in your class ? That is money going to another tire company.

I'm sure if nasa doesn't find a way to help pay the bills "spec tire" that costs gets put out someplace else to cover ."US..... entry fees " and other places.

Trust me , I understand the complaints of the toyo tire thing . I have a pile of them that are being sold for $50 cents on the dollar so I can come up with money to help buy hoosiers

racing costs we all know that but nationals is months away and I have a hard time believing that racers couldn't come up with the extra money to be on a hoosier for nationals.

in the big cost of what we spend to go racing that extra cost for tires should be affordable for most people spending money to go racing in the American Iron series

Steve, the operative word is EXCLUSIVE. A spec tire is not only the official tire, but its the exclusive tire. The only reason for a sanctioning body to establish a spec tire program is because the tire provider pays for those rights. they are paying for the naming rights. they are paying for exclusive promotional rights. they are paying for signage, visability and product placement.

NASA needs/wants the income and Hoosier put the best package on the table for the rights.

I am fairly sure that the tires would have remained open for the nationals had someone not paid for the spec tire rights.

Well now that NASA is feeling the Hoosier love maybe they should spread the love to the competitors in AI. Some of these guys are getting no love with the switch so NASA should pay it forward.......Could be something small like not jacking up the entry prices the closer we get to nationals or getting a special discount price from Hoosiers for the first set of tires..call it a promo code sponsership for AI from NASA.

you said it "open tire class" Which we are not for nationals.

I could be way off and I doubt this but maybe someone will step in and tell us all the reasons and what nots of why hoosier tire is a spec tire for american iron and why it was not left as a open tire like many other classes that hoosier runs in.

my guess is that hoosier wrote a check to nasa to be that spec tire.

If you wrote a check to be a offical tire for a series would you want other tires racing in your class ? That is money going to another tire company.

I'm sure if nasa doesn't find a way to help pay the bills "spec tire" that costs gets put out someplace else to cover ."US..... entry fees " and other places.

Here we go again. Conspiracy theories with no factual data. Get your tin foil hats on everyone.

Hoosier has the supply and support to keep the AI field with tires for everyone in dry and wet weather. I can tell you that was a large consideration. As far as Hoosier paying NASA, I don't know, I don't care, it is not my business. I see Hoosier paying NASA racers with a generous contingency for Nationals. I will be happy that the field will all be on the same tire. If one person ran away with some odd ball tire in the rain (or dry), you would all be calling foul the other way. The situation was never ideal; but the alternatives were worse. It is unfortunate that the TOYO situation happened the way it did at the time it did. Sometimes mother nature ends up having the biggest trump card which affects all our lives. Lets get back to racing and start focusing on who is going to kick some arse at Nationals. Predictions?