Euro Coolant Tank

dbgeek

I would like to officially begin lobbying for the Euro coolant tank and plumbing to be added to the rules as an option. Bimmerworld has a kit that let you replace all of it. Since the stock tank is known to fail, and it is in a crappy location when you are running an electric fan, I really like the idea.

Thoughts?

• Members

in response to your request, the rules have been updated:

7.10. Catch tank

7.10.1. A catch tank for radiator overflow may be installed, but must not

perform a secondary function. If a catch can is installed, the factory

overflow tank may be removed

and

9.3.5.1.5. Water hoses and BMW part #17111723520 Radiator

Expansion Tank may be replaced.

the second quote is new; it was added when we updated for the Spec Chip rule. for some reason the nasa national site does not have the 2011 rules posted. I will work to fix that.

Thanks,

Jon

Any other requests like this been added to the rules recently? I had no idea this was even being considered...good to know.

• Members

Nothing else.

This change was noted when I presented the new language for the chips.

I will do my best to have National post the 2011 version of the rules asap (as I "assumed" they already had).

I'm going to wear out my highlighter printing the rules each time they change

I'm definitely glad to see a willingness to amend the ruleset when a suggested rule just makes sense.

Besides, this gives us something to use all that BW contingency on...

i am very very happy to see this change made to the rules, even though it means more parts to order and more work to do to the car it is worth it.

yea the euro system is sweet...but don't forget its optional, i just replaced all my stock cooling parts and my car runs fine.

in other words...get to grid first! *cough* mark hilburger *cough*

• 7 months later...

Anyone running this euro M3 exp tank setup? I'd like to see some pictures of the BW kit installed. Esp in regards to the tank mounting (I believe the M3 got a different positive cable connector than our cars) and if the coolant pipe needs modification.

i dont have the bimmerworld kit or the factory mounting hardware, but i do have a euro tank on my M3. anyone is welcome to check out at vir if they want. its not fancy, but it was easy and functional.

If mounting the tank is an issue, we can run whatever tank...

Aside from removing the crappy stock tank, the hard line under the intake and small line from the radiator are my two main reasons to want it. I just haven't had any time to follow up on any of this.

you need to run a hose from under the intake manifold from the euro tank location which is near the ecu compartment. I think you can just use a flex hose to do that instead of the actual euro part and get away with it. I'm not sure what people use for the overflow hose that runs from the radiator back to the tank though.

The more I'm looking at the tank location the more I'm convinced this is not a good "upgrade". The M3 (which is the only E36 that has this in Europe) seems to have a different positive power connection location giving room for the expansion tank. The non-Ms have it right in the middle of the area where the tank goes. Relocating this would outweight the benefit from any of this I think. With this positive power "junction box" located where it is, there's not really a great place for any tank of decent size.

I'll try to get a picture up here soon. Does anyone with an M3 have an oppertunity to take a picture of the euro-tank location area?

this is a pic of an 95 M3 engine bay - same spot for the power post:

IMG_0756.jpg

This thread has lots of pix:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399923&highlight=euro+cooling

Here is a picture with the power post in a different location (OBD-II):

IMG_0506.JPG

Also found this:

12421432906 Euro Battery terminal bracket (mounts to inside fender) [Euro part, expect delay]

That part comes on US cars as well, but only on M52/S52 ie obd-II cars.

And, these guys show that they had to relocate the terminal (extended the power wiring) - about 2/3 down the long page:

http://www.racepad.com/proj/racepad_m3/euro_motor_project/euro_motor_project.htm

Instead of buying a bracket, they fabbed one out of some angle aluminum (what I would do)

Edited by Guest