Differential modifications

chrumck

Hi,

I'll be rebuilding the stock 8.8 in my 06 Mustang GT and I was thinking about some point-free upgrade to the diff cover. So, can you tell me which of these would cost points?:

- aluminum differential cover with diff cap supports

- diff cooler

- drain bung welded into the stock cover

Thanks!

Tom

it isn't listed in either section, so that means...?

I do feel the cover modifications should be freebies fwiw. I am not in charge though

IMO, this is "snake oil." Are you sure that it's necessary?

- diff cooler
This is the closest thing I can find, although it's in the Engine freebie section and not Drivetrain freebie:

c. Engine

12) Oil systems and coolers other than added dry sump

Although a diff cooler could be somewhat beneficial, are you sure that it's necessary? Rehagen's Continental Challenge Mustangs run them, but they are also on track for a couple of hours at a time.

- drain bung welded into the stock cover
Although I don't see it mentioned in the rules, I wouldn't have a problem if this showed up (even though "if it doesn't say that you can do it, then you can't do it" typically applies), as the only real advantage it gives you is saving $5 on every diff fluid change by not having to buy another tube of RTV.

Mark

IMO, this is "snake oil." Are you sure that it's necessary?

Mark

I thought of if as a way of getting the drain plug and adding some cooling through aluminum and webbing such covers have. That's actually the only mod I was thinking about. I added the rest to broaden the subject. So, is it a point mod or not?

Well, if we take it to the limit of the rules, there is this sentence at the top of page 2 of the TTA-TTF classification forms:

Some parts that are produced by aftermarket manufacturers as generic replacement parts may not require a points assessment provided that: they are the same size and shape, and have the same functional characteristics as the OEM part, and that they provide no significant improvement in performance, longevity, or reliability.

By adding cooling to the diff with that cover, it could be argued that you are improving performance, longevity, and/or reliability. Additionally, those covers are marketed to add strength with the cap supports, which also improves performance, longevity, and/or reliability. Since this specific modification is not currently addressed in the rules, my initial interpretation would be that you cannot perform it, based on this:

If a performance modification is not specifically allowed by the rules, it is prohibited.

Additionally, note that there are several varieties of 8.8" differential covers from other models and sub-models that can be swapped onto Mustangs; I'm interested to see if/how these are considered as modifications. For those of you who are members (and can see the photos), refer to this thread on Corner-Carvers.com:

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23526&highlight=differential+covers

I suggest that you email Greg G. directly for his determination, as it is final and will overrule any regional interpretations. Include links, photos, etc. for an accurate response.

Mark

I think I found the cover I'd prefer the most, its FRPP M-4033-K which looks like this:

m4033k.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It has no advantage except for oil cooling and a place to tap a drain plug. I wonder if Greg would let it slip.

I don't think we can go down the dangerous path of people modifying under car aero for free!

I mean one person changes their diff cover next thing you know everyone will be running diffuser shaped diff covers and ground effects tunnel diff covers

I don't think we can go down the dangerous path of people modifying under car aero for free!

I mean one person changes their diff cover next thing you know everyone will be running diffuser shaped diff covers and ground effects tunnel diff covers

Or, God forbid, hardtop shaped differential covers.

Dammit there's $5000 worth of carbon fiber down the drain.

Dammit there's $5000 worth of carbon fiber down the drain.

I can use it in TTS I will buy it from you cheap....