ECU rule clarification

Tom R

Hey looked around on the forums and wasn't able to find an answer.

Have an e36 99 M3 and am wondering if the SHARK chip is a no points modification under the following rules:

7. OEM ECU/PCM reprogramming via reflashing or replacement/aftermarket ROM chips or simple ROM boards (The OEM ECU/PCM box/housing and hardware must be used).

8. SAFC or VAFC (Super Air Flow Converter/VTEC Control Air Flow Converter)

10. Ignition timing adjustments

thanks!

Where does the chip mount?

Does it replace the stock chip or "pggyback" on it and still fit in the ecu housing?

Does it have wires that need to be connected to a switch so you can "switch" tunes?

If it mounts in the ecu housing and replaces or "piggybacks" on the original chip - 0 pts

But BE careful with HP/wt that you don't exceed class limits!

If its a programmer that plugs into an odb2 port - it could be subject to interpretation.

Some programmers that just down load a tune and then disconnect fit in the 0 pt rule.

great, thanks for the answer.

You'll get a lot of answers on these forums. The less information that you provide, the more varied the answer will be. I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of the people on this forum know what a Shark chip is. So if you ask if a Shark chip is legal with no additional information then you are going to get questions long before you get answers.

The best official answer will come from contacting Greg Greenbaum directly. Include as much information as you can about this Shark thingy (links, specifications, etc.). Email him at [email protected]

Mark

a shark chip plugs into the obd2 ports and reflashes the ECU and can be removed when the upload is finished. according to jimbow that is a zero point mod. sine this cant be actually checked it makes sense for it to be free.

i will reach out to greg to confirm. thanks!

a shark chip plugs into the obd2 ports and reflashes the ECU and can be removed when the upload is finished. according to jimbow that is a zero point mod. sine this cant be actually checked it makes sense for it to be free.

i will reach out to greg to confirm. thanks!

Actually what Jimbow said was that your device is "subject to interpretation". But it looks to me like you are good to go under the rules because you are reflashing stock hardware. The word "reflashing" is in the rules. I've been wrong before, though. The Honda guys that I race against are tuning their cars and then reflashing their ECU's VIA Hondata with zero points so I can't see why yours wouldn't be legal.

The idea that it "can't be checked" is irrelevant and not necessarily true.

The idea that it "can't be checked" is irrelevant and not necessarily true.

well, its the reason I've seen posted as to why reflashes became a free mod by people in a position to say such things. The other chips and such became free I suspect to provide parity to older EFI platforms without reflashable chips.

Regardless, that's not a good attitude to have. You'd be surprised what we can catch people on at just a mere regional level, nevermind the resources availible at Nationals

i understand your concern and i assure you I am no out to cheat in amateur sports for a $xx trophy. if i was out to cheat i would not be asking on the forums if something is legal. i have already contacted greg and will see what he says.

thanks for the help. i appreciate it.