Car build help

colinlucas

Hello all!

After instructing for years, its time to get back into the game! I picked up a 94 Civic EX Coupe for a ridiculously low price and intend on (slowly) creating an H2 car. The stock D16 motor is listed as an option for H2, but with the unrestricted cams / intake and the ability to drop the car down to 2000lbs, im sure this will be the lowest HP car out there.

So, suggestions.

Keep the D16 and mod it to the limit? Will the 94 civic with a roll cage even get down to 2000lbs?

If keeping the D16, replace current trans with something more robust?

Upgrade to a K20, etc?

Thanks!

Colin

If you can get the car light enough then do it. I'm currently running the D16a6 in my car and I'm far from at the limit of what can be done motor wise. There are a few guys out in the midwest running the D's in PTE that are modded to the limit and are running right around H2 times but at 2250 lb. I'm running a CG transmission in mine from an 89 Integra which is a rather robust transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

A K20 would put you into H1 wouldn't it? If you are considering a K though I would look into a K24. Not sure what kind of weight penalty that would give you though.

• National Staff

Colin,

The K20a3 combo for H2 has proven to be a very good one thus far. There have also been a few running the D16 in H2 with success, but getting the car to minimum weight will be tough.

The only problem with the K20a3 swap is the up front expense. If you can pull it off, it would be a great way to go.

The B16, LS/B20, GSR and ITR motors have all proven to be competitive and should be considered as well.

All depends on what engine platform you like the best because they can all win.

Good luck!

don't u mean the coveted K24/K20A2 combo? or at least a stock K24A1 or K24A2?

K20A3 is the 160hp base motor for DC5 and EP3's

Hrm. Id love to stick with the D16 so I don't have to cough up the dough for an upgraded engine. I agree about the weight though.

Curb weight is around 2456 + around 100 for the cage. Should have hunted more for a CRX.

Confused a bit on the rules. Is the 2K weight minimum for the D16 engine with or without driver? Gas in tank?

Thanks again.

Colin

Confused a bit on the rules. Is the 2K weight minimum for the D16 engine with or without driver? Gas in tank?

Weights are measured as the car comes off track, with driver, etc.

It's probably possible to get the EG coupe to 2000 lb but you're going to have to get creative. I like the light weight of the D package, if nothing else it's easy on equipment. My engine is not built to the limit of the rules yet, so I'm not on pace with the other H2 guys. Like Jeremy said though, any of the engines are a good choice as they have all been proven to be competitive. The choice depends a bit on personal preference, and a bit on the type of tracks you intend on running on.

Should have hunted more for a CRX.

That's what they all say...

Thanks all for the assistance. At this point, it looks like its a matter of "does it cost less to reduce the weight to 1825lbs (with me weighing 175) or swap in a new engine". OR buy a crx shell and swap in the D16