Brake Cooling Ducts

Capt Slow

As I'm slowly converting a street car to a track car, brakes are priority. Now that I have racing pads, it seems that brake cooling ducts would the next logical step. I'd like to see what you guys are running...weather it was homemade or a kit, material type, tube size and how the duct work is placed and secured, what keeps it from melting next to rotors, etc. Thanks!

I am also interested in how people have their brake cooling setup. Also if someone has some pictures that would be great.

im on a budget so i use, a funnel, and some shop vacc tubing from lowes. of course zipties to secure the tubing.

Shop vac tube... not a bad idea! I'd like to see a photo of that.

I use NACA ducts cut in to the front bumper with 2.5" heater duct hose from NAPA. 10' for about $12.00. When I get holes in it I wrap it with duct tape to repair it.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't need them for my Civic, but back in the day when I used to track my Prelude, I used to use aluminum dryer duct tubing for brake ducts.

I cut two holes in the stock front bumper where the Euro model had road lights, bent the top of the dryer tubing at a 90 degree angle and slid them up into place from underneath. I couple of zip ties around the tubing and the tow hooks held them in place perfectly. They ran under the car, and then up into the wheel well. There was just enough room to do another 90 degree turn (toward the caliper and rotor), and zip tie it loosely to the shock. It made a HUGE difference in terms of not cooking pads, and not needing to bleed the brakes anymore.

One catch, don't try to drive it on the road like that. The tubing is too low to the ground, you'll keep ripping it out, or smashing it flat. What I discovered though is that since it holds its shape after you take it off, installing and uninstalling at the track is no problem.

Matt

• 1 month later...

Nice Ideas, I order several vents from Discovery parts and went to home depot for tubing , get aluminum 3" and then wrap it with flex tape and duct tape on the bends. I have to see about some of that Vaccume tubing i have some in my shop 2.5 dia. I'm not using .My ducts work great on track and street , used the turn signal light unit and mount location .

crxbrakecooling001.jpg

crxbrakecooling005.jpg

crxbrakecooling003.jpg