My Camaro is really loud, will that be a problem?

ls2gto06

I have a muffler on my car, but it doesn't do much. It seems like it only goes thru one side. It's a Borla racing system on an LT1 Camaro with 500rwhp, cammed to the hilt. When you nail it you can literally hear it a mile away. Please let me know as I plan to register for an event that is coming up real soon.

It really depends on the track and their rules on noise level. Most people get turn downs on the exhaust and let off near the sound check stations (doesn't always work). Another issue you may have is hearing your instructor even with a headset. I instructed a guy this past weekend in an 86 gti that was gutted and loud as ever. We had to use hand signals for communication even with a chatterbox headset.

Post up which track you plan on attending......some tracks require it and some don't. Usually loud exhaust get black flag only on Sunday during the tracks dedicated quiet time.

I was planning on attending HPDE 1 @ Pocono on sunday. It's not open header or anything like that, just very loud.

the borla system in track mode pretty much bypasses the muffler

get a real exhaust...when done right, you can make more power & be quieter

Loud is fun for a drag car and weekend bruiser but It gets old in a hurry on a road course where you're WOT for a much longer period of time. Some tracks do have noise limits and you could get black flagged.

I used to share a Panoz with my father and it had blown out cherry bomb side-pipes and was ridiculously loud... plus it was slow in stock form so you were WOT forever on the back straight at a place like VIR. Now it's got a 380 rwhp 347 and Flowmaster 50-series mufflers and it's still really loud.... just not headache loud. Plus, it gets where it needs to go a bunch faster.

Also, instructing in a super loud car can be difficult. You and your instructor can't communicate as easily and it'll be hard for you to hear the tires and other sounds the car is making which are important to take note of. I use a chatter-box to talk to students and in some cars the mic pics up the exhaust noise and blasts it into your ear even worse!

All of that is why my Z06 race car has 100% oem exhaust. The catback is titanium anyway

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

from my experience you may want to find a quieter muffler because even with a car that isnt that loud it doesnt matter for the sound toward the end of the day its for the experience. my brother has a 94 lt1 and his car didnt stand up to 2 full sessions before a few issues popped up. just dont run the car too hard especially with youre power level.