Getting started

memphisracing.com

Completely stock 2010 Corvette Z06. What else do I need to participate? I've got an open-faced helmet for SCCA autocross. Not sure if that meets helmet requirements.

Completely stock 2010 Corvette Z06. What else do I need to participate? I've got an open-faced helmet for SCCA autocross. Not sure if that meets helmet requirements.

Glad you asked! The HPDE requirements are listed in the CCR (http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf), specifically in chapters 3.0 through 8.0. Equipment/driver/car technical requirements are in chapter 11.

Essentially, at a minimum, you will need a car in good working order/mechanical condition as enumerated in chapter 11, a helmet that's at least SA1990 or M1990 or better, and long pants/closed toe shoes. There are other additions/good tips that will enhance your experience, those you can read about in the other threads of this subforum.

Advice: Resist the natural urge to 'upgrade' your car (IOW, throw parts at it) until you have completed several HPDEs, so you can 'know what you don't know'. I promise you that your car's potential will remain ahead of yours for some time, even when stock (esp a Z06). There are many experienced Z06 drivers/racers in NASA; learn how to drive first, then modify your car to take advantage of your new skills.

Welcome to NASA! I wish you an enjoyable and productive experience with some of the best people around

DO NOT make any modifications to the car!

A stock C6Z06 is plenty of car in stock form.

Exception:

Start planning for seats, new belts, roll bar or cage.

What region are you in?

First event?

C6Z06 is a metric crapton of car to start with, too much imho but others have their own opinions. If you've got access to something a bit more tame for your first weekend or three it could help your learning curve

All of the above very good advice...

I ran my first HPDE at Mem. Motorsports Park in August 2009, the first day I was in my stock C5ZO6, I burnt the brake pads up pretty bad,(stock pads) had issues with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor etc.

The second day I took my 08 C6ZO6- I really did not have any issues with brakes or clutch but it is a little more track worthy brake wise etc.

The C6Z is a lot of car if it is your first HPDE, at Memphis 150mph on the front straight (I was on the stock Goodyears) is what you will see if you push it..

Like everyone else has said you don't need to do anything to that car for your first HPDE, but once the hook is set look out!

Exception:

What region are you in?

First event?

I can't imagine a need for anything other than real seats, belts to match, and a harness bar. I'm sure the car is more than enough in stock form for many, many years. Region is Mid-South. Might make the October in Nashville. Will make the November in Memphis for sure.

C6Z06 is a metric crapton of car to start with, too much imho but others have their own opinions. If you've got access to something a bit more tame for your first weekend or three it could help your learning curve
My other cars aren't exactly things you'd want for a HPDE: '11 Prius, '08 3500HD. The '10 Z06 is the only vehicle I have fitting for HPDE.

Welcome to NASA! I wish you an enjoyable and productive experience with some of the best people around
Thanks. The bunch at the Memphis event last weekend were very nice.

My other cars aren't exactly things you'd want for a HPDE: '11 Prius, '08 3500HD. The '10 Z06 is the only vehicle I have fitting for HPDE.

Rental Car...

Or take the Corvette, just realize that it is a TON of car to learn with. Kind of like jumping straight on a thoroughbred when you're learning to ride a horse

edit - just saw this quote pop up on another board I read:

"It's a lot more satisfying - and fun - to pass a ZR1 Corvette with a Suzuki Swift than it is to pass a Suzuki Swift with a ZR1 Corvette. GA"

Exception:

What region are you in?

First event?

I can't imagine a need for anything other than real seats, belts to match, and a harness bar. I'm sure the car is more than enough in stock form for many, many years. Region is Mid-South. Might make the October in Nashville. Will make the November in Memphis for sure.

I am pulling a Hardbar Harness Bar out of my C6ZO6 this weekend, I also have the panels I am selling that already have the holes in them. Let me know if you are interested

I usually tell students with big hp cars at their first event to help dial back the beast while they get a feel for everything, is just run it in tall gears (4th/5th) it'll keep you from shifting as much, keeps the speeds a bit more sane, helps you focus not so much on the car.

Of course I had a student with an '09 ZR1 that pulled like a freight train in 5th (or any gear) so that didn't really help

I'm leaning towards attending the Nashville event in Oct. I've instructed there with the Porsche folks.

I instructed a student in a C6Z06 at VIR and Charlotte recently.

If you go to Nashville - put good pads on, need to be able to haul that car down from a high rate of speed to a really slow speed for the first turn into the infield. FLUSH YOUR BRAKE FLUID WITH FRESH FLUID no matter what!

I try to flush and put fresh fluid in every couple years for street cars. Got a little lazy on the wifes daily driven C5. You do not want to see what the fluid looked like after 3 years! It was nasty