HPDE level

MLC

Hi guys! I'm new to NASA but have raced in the Skip Barber regional formula car series. As such, I have received my NASA provisional comp license. My plan is to get into Spec E30 racing and I will be trying out one of these cars at an upcoming HPDE.

My question is which level to sign up for. I'm have experience and am comfortable in a racing environment, so I'm used to other cars being close, etc. But the purpose of doing an HPDE for me is to get used to the car and a new track in a low pressure environment.

If I sign up for a particular group, how difficult is it to change groups during the weekend? I think the best approach is to sign up for a lower group level and be conservative. But if everything is going well is it possible to change groups mid-event?

Thanks for any advice.

You may want to post this with the NASA region you plan to run with. All are different. Since you are an unknown to NASA you'll probably need to sign up for HPDE 1. You'll be assigned an instructor and he/she will be able to evaluate your skill level and then make a recommendation to the chief instructor.

Provisional comp license - cool

Question would be does your region split HPDE3 and HPDE4 into seperate groups?

Sign up for HPDE3, send a note to the registrar for your region letting them know in advance what you are wanting to do. If they seperate HPDE4 into a seperate group they may move you into that group.

HPDE3 - usually pass anywhere with a point by

HPDE4 - usually pass anywhere, point by suggested

that will get you some track time with the car.

Just a note. Passing rules are different in different regions. For instance, we do not allow our HPDE 3 folks to pass anywhere. They still have designated passing zones.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not certain if they split HPDE 3 and 4. I have sent an e-mail to my regional rep, so hopefully I'll get a reply soon. I want register before slots start to fill up. Looking forward to getting on the track again!

I would guess you would be in 3 or 4 but sign up in 3 and have an instructor ride with you to see if you need to be moved up to 4 personally I would feel better trying a new car in 3.