96' Civic DX Hatchback w/ Stock D16Y8 swap in HC4?

Bigdj1125

Trying to get into racing and want to convert my DD into a track car. I don't have a lot of money and would like to use the car I already have. Don't really want to run in HC1 Hybrid though since I'm just starting out.

I saw in the rules that you can change the chasis as long as you don't gain an advantage like in the GSR to Type-R example givin in the rule book. I have a totally stock D16Y8 swap in the car and a full set of EX brakes waiting to go on the car. That pretty much converts the whole car to EX specs but just in a hatchback shell. Is this legal to run in HC4 as a 96' EX?

Unfortunately, no, this is not legal, as Honda never put that motor in a HB, so for a D16Y8 it will have to go in either a 2-door or 4-door. The body swap rule is for things like a CRX, EF Civic HB, EG Civic (all) or the DC Integras. The CRX came with 3 different motors, so it would be legal to take an HF CRX and build it into a CRX Si, but not the opposite. Same way you can take an EF Civic HB Standard or DX and build it into a Civic Si, etc. Get my drift here?

Let me know if you have any other questions as I'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Sam

I was afraid of that. The 92-95 si hatch is almost identical to what I'd have as far as motor and body type. I doubt I'd have any advantage over that car or any 2 or 4 door EX at the same weight as my HB, that's the rules

Ok, did some more reading. My car is listed under HC5 as the following:

92-00 Honda Civic /DX/LX 2400lbs.... May run H4 at 2175lbs

So, I could run my 96' DX hatchback in HC4 at 2175lbs with the stock Y7 motor in it. The EX is classed as HC4 at 2200lbs. Is there any way I could get approval to run my DX with EX drivetrain at the 2200lb EX weight in HC4??? I don't see where I'd have any advantage since they are allowing all three body types (Coupe, Sedan, and Hatchback) to run in HC4. The engine power Y7 vs. Y8 determines the weight penalty, not the body type.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, did some more reading. My car is listed under HC5 as the following:

92-00 Honda Civic /DX/LX 2400lbs.... May run H4 at 2175lbs

So, I could run my 96' DX hatchback in HC4 at 2175lbs with the stock Y7 motor in it. The EX is classed as HC4 at 2200lbs. Is there any way I could get approval to run my DX with EX drivetrain at the 2200lb EX weight in HC4??? I don't see where I'd have any advantage since they are allowing all three body types (Coupe, Sedan, and Hatchback) to run in HC4. The engine power Y7 vs. Y8 determines the weight penalty, not the body type.

No, you can not us a d16y8 in a 1996 hatchback, in H4.

You can us the d16y7 in H5 or us the engines/weights allowed in H2/H1. Where are you located?

Check this link out, I have been in your shoes young man.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30704&p=222684#p222684