New racer looking for input on first car

EvntHorizn

Hi,

I was talking to a friend of mine (Andrew lee) who races with you guys and was looking for some additional input on suggestions for a car I could start out with at DE events and end up after 2-3 years, and some modifications, potentially competing in the Honda challenge group. The two cars i was considering right now for starters was a Honda prelude 5th gen, or a Third generation integra GS-R or maybe an RSX. I currently drive a 2005 honda s2k but am uncomfortable taking it out to a DE event and potentially balling it up (can't afford to replace it). Hence I figured I would start out with a cheaper, older car like a prelude or integra so that the loss in case of an accident wouldn't be so traumatic. I was looking to spend around 5k to start.

I am not really looking into to buying a race prepped car as i don't really want to go down the road of needing a trailer and truck to pull the car. From what I have been reading the Integra and prelude are fairly similar in speed, however the integra has a much larger aftermarket part selection. Personally as far as looks go (which honestly isn't all that important) I would choose the prelude. However, my decision will be more based on which car would be the most reliable and potentially easiest to mod up to the point where I could race when the time comes. I have noticed from reading that a big difference between the two cars is weight. I would really appreciate any advice anyone would like to offer. I am not a mechanic, but not really scared to do most of the modifications myself...with the internet these days it usually seems fairly easy to find any necessary information, plus Andrew offered to help .

Choices as I see it now.

1-Buy a car just for DE and then a race prepped the car later.

2-Buy a car then buy a race prepped car, truck and trailer later.

3-Give up and use the s2k for a couple events and pick up a car (prelude, integra, civic) later.

Thanks again,

Michael

My vote is #2. Just buy a cheap trackable car and keep the s2k insured and at home. Later, if you find yourself still wanting to get serious, sell the track car and buy a built race car.

I, like Andrew, agree with option number 2. That is what I am doing, running my 93 Interga then going to purchase or build a race prep'd Honda when I am ready to move up. The key I have found along with so many people before me is when you 1st start out keep your car as stock as possible with only doing things like brakes and tires.

• National Staff

Yep, number 2 is the best option. Leaves you with the most flexibility.

I'd also suggest starting with the Integra because of the many engine choices you have for the car!

Thanks for the replies, I think I will take your advice and go with option 2, still on the fence about a integra/prelude though

Thanks for the replies, I think I will take your advice and go with option 2, still on the fence about a integra/prelude though

Having a ton of experience with Honda's I can tell you that going with the Integra is your best bet. Easy to find parts, easy to upgrade. I like preludes don't get me wrong but the Integra line has more to offer. You can get a good GSR upgrade the brakes and tires and have a blast.

You can do the same with the prelude but might cost you more and depending on the model can weigh considerably more.

93 thru 99 Integra ~2643 lbs

92 thru 96 Prelude ~2840 lbs

97 thru 01 Preldue ~3040 lbs

A side note if you go with the Prelude get from 93 to 95 (OBD1) and get the Vtec model has better suspension and a little more power and the ecu can be modified easier.

If you get an Integra go with a GSR or Type-R

Try it before you buy it ! imho, you can not go wrong by taking your S2k to one or two HPDE1 weekends. You'd have to be extremely unlucky to wade it up, you are in charge of driving and contact between cars is unusual in HPDE1.

You'll gain valuable experience and perhaps a better idea of the choices you have.

Then I'd go the Integra or Civic route (extremely interchangeable cars) and avoid the Prelude altogether. Lighter, more reliable, more choices of engines, suspension, brakes.

Go to any Pick-n-Pull or other import salvage yard and you'll likely find 5 to one Civic to Prelude inventory. Frankly, I just don't see Preludes or Integras in NorCal yards very often.

As for learning how to drive, you will always learn more with a well handling light car with a modest power plant that a bigger, heavier setup. And you'll find it easier to go faster, sooner with less money in. fwiw.

Good question(s), have fun, good luck!

A side note ... go with a ... Type-R
Gasp! Great car, but omg, he's worried about wading up an S2K, I'd much rather deal with that than a waded up,uber-rare Integra Type-R! The horror ! Just me? ...

x2 about Integra > Prelude.

With a Prelude you're stuck with large, underachieving engines and gearing that sucks (unless you do H2B, in which case you can't do HC). With an Integra you can do any number of engines (B18B, B20Z/B, B18C1/5) AND put together a killer gearbox to boot...all the while saving money over a Prelude.

Thanks again for all the help. I may throw the dice and take the s2k out for a HPDE school. I already attended one in my wife's 08 civic. I had a blast but still the car is not exactly one I am comfortable with the potential of balling up. I used to own a 98 civic so i kinda wanted to try something new. If I get a car ill defiantly go with an integra based on everyone's recommendation. Thanks again, hope to see you on the track in a few years