'88 engine swap

Chris Benbow

I'm considering a swap from my '86 engine to an '88. Can anyone tell me if I need the '88 brain or any other parts from the '88 car? Which is better for the newer engine an '88 or '86 DME? Any other considerations?

Oh really Mr. B.!

One thing I think about the 88, is that it drops a LOT of power when it gets warm. I have that verified from the dyno. But, if you keep it cool, should be fine. As for the brain, I thought I had heard you needed the 88 brain, but you need to confirm this. The other thing, remember my car was stuttering? It appeared to cause a problem with the brain. We think it was because I was running a pre 88 AFM? Cannot be sure of that but as soon as we swapped to an 88 AFM, the stutter went away and it has been fine ever since.

So I would think brain and AFM at a minimum. My un-educated guess that is.

But, why swap to an 88 motor when others have been successful with shaved heads and new chips? Would that not be cheaper?

P.Dilly.

I have an '88 engine with my '85.5 brain, chip and AFM. It runs great with no studdering. My problem is a dead cylinder...needs rings. I heard the'88 DME is better because it processes faster but they're hard to find.