Double Dipping on Supersizing

drivinhardz06

From the folks who have done TT and a race group at nationals in the past....In terms of schedule (driver's meetings for both, obvious multiple sessions, slight tweaks on the car between the 2 classes) how is it to do? I want to do both but want to enjoy the week and not run myself ragged. It can be taxing on a shorter time frame regional weekend, but curious how it goes on a 4 day event.

I guess a lot depends on the actual schedule

I've only ever done one class (either didn't have a PT legal car, or the entries for both classes didn't quite make it) but with it being generally a little longer day than your typical regional PLUS only having ~3 sessions a day per class typically supersizing doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal to me at all. A 3rd class might be too much, but 2 wouldn't be bad at all.

• Members

I mean, for TT, you really only need one lap Then youre free for the rest of the championships to focus on ST2 (or PTA, cant remember which you run)

• National Staff

TT has two sessions per day (Thurs-Sun) with one extra session on Saturday (unless the schedule changes). There are two meetings a day for TT. The race groups generally have one meeting a day. So, it shouldn't be too difficult to do both TT and race, provided that the car doesn't act up. I did it for many years (and had admin duties), and never missed a race.

Wow - only 2 sessions per day. At least the consumables should be lower than expected.

How long are the sessions typically?

One of the harder things about doing both is getting through impound in time to make your next session - if they are close. You have to make sure that you talk to your director and he understands that you are doing both. This way if you need to get weighed after a session you can do it and get back to grid. We didn't have an issue with it at Miller, but impound was right after you got off of the track and there were three lanes. I believe they are going to use the scaling house at Mid-Ohio which takes you away from everyting and it's kind of a bottlekneck.

I'm sure NASA will do there best to help out people doing double duty but you have to take it upon yourself to make sure your directors know the situation.

I did three classes in 2009 ST2/STR2 & TTS and I ran myself ragged...you need some very good time management. But running back to back qualifing races with only 20 minutes in between that is used for Tech in 90 degree heat was an experience.

One of the harder things about doing both is getting through impound in time to make your next session - if they are close.

yeah was just looking at that today on the schedule that came out, TTA - PTA would be better off just staying on track in between

I'll have to figure something out, or just forget the supersize thing. Can you get a refund on just the supersize portion of your entry? Do you HAVE to do qualifying races? If PTA stays small I'll just blow those off and start from the back in the big dance (assuming grid is by class, and then time). PTA is a sidebar thing for me, it will be hard to have a good effort in TT trying to scramble to grid with a car that's just been burned to the ground in a race.

One of the harder things about doing both is getting through impound in time to make your next session - if they are close.

Do you HAVE to do qualifying races?

Last year I supersized on Saturday adding the GTS4 race. I didn't want to burn my car & tires up doing both the ST and GTS quals and races so I supersized agreeing to start DFL in the Championship race. Turns out I blew up in the ST Championship race so I never ran a GTS lap....

yeah was just looking at that today on the schedule that came out, TTA - PTA would be better off just staying on track in between

I'll have to figure something out, or just forget the supersize thing. Can you get a refund on just the supersize portion of your entry? Do you HAVE to do qualifying races? If PTA stays small I'll just blow those off and start from the back in the big dance (assuming grid is by class, and then time). PTA is a sidebar thing for me, it will be hard to have a good effort in TT trying to scramble to grid with a car that's just been burned to the ground in a race.

Actually Mark I would think that you would want to run the races and learn as much as you can on Thursday and Friday - because more than likely the Sat or Sun morning sessions will bring the fastest TT times. You could still go out for the TT session if you have any brakes left after the race, just to get some more time out there.

Oh wait you are competing against us.....I think you should really forget the whole super sizing thing.

Actually Mark I would think that you would want to run the races and learn as much as you can on Thursday and Friday - because more than likely the Sat or Sun morning sessions will bring the fastest TT times. You could still go out for the TT session if you have any brakes left after the race, just to get some more time out there.

Oh wait you are competing against us.....I think you should really forget the whole super sizing thing.

The first schedule was going to be near impossible (1 group in between PT and TT). Now it is literally impossible, as PTA/ST2/ST2/SU backs right up behind TTA/TTS/TTU, etc. Have no idea how one would get off track, get to impound, fuel up, and then get to grid for w2w since they'll be rolling on to track just as we are rolling off.

I'd be joking myself to think as tough and competitive as TTA will be, to wait and save it all for Sat or Sun AM. If that was the case, we should just make it a 2 day event right

I think TTA it is for me, I will refund PTA supersize and enjoy my week and not run around like a headless chicken and put forth a crappy effort in TT and PT. I think with a 2 or 3 group break between ST2/ST1/PTA and TT, you might could do it, but with only 1 slot (and now none) in between, forget it. That surprises me as I would expect there's a bunch of TTS/ST2 guys supersizing, but I could be totally wrong.

• National Staff

As someone who both raced and did TT for many years, I have to say that I loved it when my TT session was right before my race qualifying or race. It gave me an excuse to not get held up in a TT impound (and just get checked after the race since the rules are the same anyway), and I would be starting the race on warm tires the first lap Most of my TT hot laps are done in the morning anyway, and I only need two hot laps in qualifying after my tires are warm from a TT session. So, while it may not be ideal, because you need to run your TT sessions with a bit of extra weight in gas, it does have its advantages also. I will work with any racer that needs to be on grid right after a TT session so that we can get them there. We can do their tech inspection and impound after their race or qualifying session.

As someone who both raced and did TT for many years, I have to say that I loved it when my TT session was right before my race qualifying or race. It gave me an excuse to not get held up in a TT impound (and just get checked after the race since the rules are the same anyway), and I would be starting the race on warm tires the first lap Most of my TT hot laps are done in the morning anyway, and I only need two hot laps in qualifying after my tires are warm from a TT session. So, while it may not be ideal, because you need to run your TT sessions with a bit of extra weight in gas, it does have its advantages also. I will work with any racer that needs to be on grid right after a TT session so that we can get them there. We can do their tech inspection and impound after their race or qualifying session.

Greg was very helpful with this last year at Miller, I am sure he will help us this year also. I will be running TTU ans ST1, and looking forward to it.