Help selecting NASA legal rollbar, seats, harnesses?

ericedelman

I recently moved to blue/hpde-3 and would like to make my car safer.

My car is a 2010 Camaro. I still use the car on the street, but not as a daily driver.

Autopower now has rollbars available, I was thinking about this style with the welded in harness bar and diagonal cross brace:

DSC_2848.jpg

I have two Schroth 4 point harnesses that is FIA B-137.T/98 certified with a DOT approved push-button cam-lock. If I am reading the NASA harness rules correctly, this is acceptable?

Schroth can convert this to a 5 or 6 point system, I'm not sure if they send me parts or I send them the belts.

The big question I have is seats.

I don't think I would enjoy my car on the street with a 1 piece seat.

Is it acceptable to NASA to use a reclining seat like Corbeau if it is made with a slot for a 5th point?

3.inchOnSeat-RedPad-SR-XL.jpg

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Eric

Eric,

What region are you running in? I do not want to speak for other regions as there can be amendments to the CCR for each region in regards to what is acceptable.

Thanks,

Joe

Eric,

Just a follow up...I looked at the vehicles that the Schroth ASM 4 point system can be installed in, and the Camaro is not on that list. The belts are tested and certified with each individual vehicle. So not only does it have to have the certification, it also has to state that it was designed for the vehicle you are putting it in. So unless they haven't updated their list and you have belts specifically designed for the Camaro, you would not be able to use them.

Here is the Schroth link to their vehicle list:

http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/FE-VehRefList-Print.pdf

Joe

I've been attending NorthEast events, but also have gone to Summit Point which is Mid-Atlantic.

Thanks!

Eric,

What region are you running in? I do not want to speak for other regions as there can be amendments to the CCR for each region in regards to what is acceptable.

Thanks,

Joe

Northeast is the only one I know of that has lots of its own deviations from the CCRs fwiw.

Sounds like you're thinking in the right direction though (adding safety as you get quicker), get with the tech guys from each of those regions to get those details nailed down though

Also if you can, I'd find some pictures or look at an install of the rollbar kit you're thinking about and weigh that versus something custom that is tightly fit. Some of those pre-fab rollbars aren't very optimal, and sometimes they're pretty good. Varies based on who makes it, the car, etc.

Eric,

Since you are running in our region, I'll send you a PM with my email and you can contact me directly to discuss what you are planning on doing.

Also, at our NJMP event at the end of October we are planning on having a seminar on the proper installation of harnesses, seats, how the systems work together, etc. We are bringing in an outside expert on the subject to give the seminar. If you can make it I highly recommend it, especially since you are looking at upgrading your safety equipment.

Joe

That's excellent - i'm planning to attend that NJMP event.

That would be good information to have, and then I can make this a winter project on the car.

Eric

Eric,

Since you are running in our region, I'll send you a PM with my email and you can contact me directly to discuss what you are planning on doing.

Also, at our NJMP event at the end of October we are planning on having a seminar on the proper installation of harnesses, seats, how the systems work together, etc. We are bringing in an outside expert on the subject to give the seminar. If you can make it I highly recommend it, especially since you are looking at upgrading your safety equipment.

Joe

I found for my car it was easier to have a roll bar made by someone that fit the car tight and good then to buy an off the self version. In the end the price was about 150.00 bucks more but I know my roll bar will protect me if I roll over. I had the same belt and seat issue as you I found a set of corbeau seats that I liked and where comfortable and got the proper rails and a set of g-force harness from JEGS. Something else you will want to look into is some sort of head restraint device like Safety Solutions Hybrid when you switch to harness because of the forces put on your neck in an accident, I got mine from US Racegear.

I have an older F body and have a 6pnt Auto Power cage... If I did it all again I would have a custom cage , it is a bit tight and I don't like the forward braces. But you may be okay with one since it will mounted behind the seats. I use a 6pnt camlock harness form G force and like it. And for a seat the alum. Kirkey Road Race very comfortable and I would drive

on the street if I could just get the car to pass a Va state Inspection.